Chapter 7 - Talks of Home

Today, since Kanata and I are free, me and her are going to spend some time together at a cafe or something. Kanata has been busy with idol stuff for a bit so we haven't been able to go on a date or anything like that in a week or two.

I headed to her classroom and I saw Kanata talking to some friends of hers who must also be in this class. I waited for her to finish her conversation before walking up to her and said "Hey Kanata, you ready to go?"

Kanata looked up from her seat and as she finished putting her stuff in her bag said "Yeah. Let's go"

Once we were in the hall, walking towards the entrance Kanata said "So where are you thinking we should go?"

"I was thinking we head to Yabako Cafe? I love their sandwiches and I hear the cake's absolutely amazing there."

"Oh I've been there before. That sounds great."

When we got there, we got our seats and ordered our food. I ordered a sandwich and some coffee while Kanata ordered some tea and a slice of chocolate cake.

While we waited for our food, Kanata asked "Hey y/n, on our last date you mentioned that your mother used to have a restaurant but why did she need to close it up?"

"I don't remember much because I was three when it happened but according to my older brother, an ex-employee who she fired for blatant disregard for safety in the kitchen at one point got drunk and burned the place down for revenge.." I answered

"How awful. But I didn't know you had a brother." Kanata said.

"He was from my dad's first marriage and since Dad died when I was little and he never liked my mom, as soon as he was eighteen he left and never returned."

"That's terrible!"

"On the brightside, I never minded because my Mom is the most kind and optimistic woman I know. She never let any of it get to her and always gave me as much attention as I needed."

"She sounds wonderful."

"Yeah. I wouldn't be the person I am today without her.

Our food then got there and we began to eat our food. Kanata took a bite of her cake and had a big smile on her face. She put a piece on her fork and said "This is so good. You try a bite."

"Sure, I'll take you up on your offer." I said before eating the bite. It was rich and had just the right amount of sweetness. "That is good."

From there, we ate while talking between us. We eventually finished and left the cafe. "That was great. How about we go on an actual date this weekend?" I said.

"That sounds great. I can't wait." Kanata said, smiling.

"Now how about I walk you home?" I said while holding me hand out to her.

As we walked, a bit after we left, my phone began to ring. "I gotta answer this, I'll be back in a minute."

I walked to a nearby spot where not many were and picked up the phone. "Hey Mom, what's up?"

The voice that answered was that of a man. "So you are y/n l/n. I have extremely bad news for you."

"Who are you?" I asked. I don't know who this is and why they have Mom's phone.

"I am Dr. Takashima at Teito Hospital. Your mother is extremely ill, I don't imagine that she'll live to see the end of the month. She asked me to call you and tell you the situation."

"Surely there's something that you can do?" I asked.

"We'll keep trying but nothing seems to be helping." Dr. Takashima said

"Okay, could you please tell her that I'll be there by the end of the week at latest?"

"Yes I can."

I hung up the phone. This can't be real can it? I need to be strong for now, I can freak out later. I walked back to Kanata and said "I'm back."

Kanata looks at me and asks "Is something wrong?"

I tried to brush it off "No, everything is fine. But it turns out we won't be able to go on that date this weekend because I need to head back home for a bit."

"Okay, then let's do it when you get back."

When we got to her house, we shared a kiss and I began to head back to the dorms.

----------------------------------

Kanata's Perspctive

I enter the house, and enter my room for a bit before I start dinner. I hope y/n will be okay. After that phone call he seemed kind of out of it and distracted. I know something must have happened on the phone, but I don't want to force whatever happened out of him.