Chapter 24

"What the hell is going on?" Lyn wasrunning towards us barefoot, holding herdress up like she was some sort of royalty. Once she was close enough, she lookedWilliam up and down."Who is this?" He asked, a lot louderthan I think he meant too. I opened mymouth but Lyn hushed me by a raise of herhand."I'm responsible enough to introducemyself," she said. "I'm Lyn. Christopher'ssister. I was dragged out of prom by gettingtold my brother was getting into analtercation in the parking lot but," shelooked William up and down again. "You'renot my brother.""I'm William." He introduced himselfas if he hadn't a care in the world. I tried tostop him but was too late. Lyn's eyes lit upand she burst into a fit of deranged laughter."Oh!" She spat between her laughs."You're the cheatee." There was a crowdamongst us now and my eyes grew widefrom her comment. "I didn't cheat on Christopher!" Iyelled, sounding as if there was a frog in mythroat."Oh no? You just want somebody tobelieve you're the good guy for once." Shesmirked at us both and I knew what hernext comment was going to be. "Go aheadLeighAnn, tell him. Tell him how you smackmy brother when he snores or when you dosomething wrong that you blame him for." ICursed Lincoln County for word spreadingaround like wildfire and the bystander thatoverheard. William looked at me concerned.I croaked back with the first comment Icould think of."What are you even doing here Lyn?You don't go to school here anymore.""I don't have to be a student here toattend prom. It's a public event that your exinvited me too." I rolled my eyes."So, you came here with my ex just toseek some sort of revenge?" "Oh please. I am not interested inCody anymore. I staged that kiss, just toprove to you that you are nothing but aspoiled piece of ass.""You know what you are Lyn? You'rea hypocrite.""It's better to be a hypocrite than aslut!" With that comment, I gripped ontoher hair and yanked, causing her to leanforward. She screamed and grabbed hold ofmine, using her other hand to punch me.Nobody tried to break us up untilChristopher returned; he pulled Lyn off ofme."Stop it!" He yelled. My heart wasbeating a thousand miles a minute asWilliam walked me away to the other sideof the parking lot, to his bright yellow FordEscape."Are you okay?" He asked me as hegrabbed a first aid kit from the glovecompartment of his Ford. He grabbed someperoxide and a few napkins and dabbed the spot under my eye where Lyn had snaggedme. "Look up," he told me. "If I miss andthis gets in your eye, it won't feel too hot." Iobeyed what he said, trying not to wince atthe pain form each touch of the napkin.Christopher and Lyn found us after awhile and William stopped playing doctor. Itook one look at Lyn and burst into laughter,even though my eye was still in a lot of pain.I noticed her finding my laughter contagiousas a big smile shot across her face."What's so funny?""Your hair," I managed betweenlaughs. "You look like something the catdragged in!" She walked to the side viewmirror of William's Ford to take a peek atherself and then she couldn't help but joinin on my virage of laughter. Christopherinterrupted my laughter when I noticed hewas holding a strawberry milkshake."I bought this for you. I'm sorry." Hewalked towards me, motioning for a hugbut I backed away. He smacked his teeth. "God, I can't win with you!" He yelled,running his hand through his hair. His mompulled up beside us, hit the flashers on hercar, and got out, a major look of frustrationon her face."Do you know how embarrassing it isto get a second call about one of my kidsgetting into a fight?" She turned toward me."And you, what is this I hear about youhitting my son? You are in high school andway too young to know anything aboutthose kinds of relationships. Let's go Lyn."Lyn followed her mom to the car. Her momkissed Christopher on the head and saidshe'd see him at home then drove off."Are you coming LeighAnn?"Christopher asked."No." I snapped."Why? What do you want LeighAnn?Just tell me!""I don't want to be with you anymoreand I want to be with William, that's what Iwant." Christopher smashed the milkshake on the asphalt then ran to his car zoomingoff."I hate that guy." William grunted. Ididn't say anything. "How you feeling?" Heasked, changing the subject."Okay," I started, then noticed himstaring at me. "What?""I just noticed that even with a blackeye, you're the most beautiful girl in thewhole world." He smiled, I blushed. "So,what do you want to do now?" He asked."We could...go back to my apartment,if you don't mind messes, if you want too." Itried to hide the fact that I was nervous,even though I didn't understand why I wasnervous. Guilt? Emotion? Confusion? Hell ifI knew. All I knew at this moment was thatthat I'm about to drag another man to thehome I share with Christopher."I can't," William sighed. "I'm not toogood with parents, not this early. I'm notready. I don't have my outfit picked, I didn'trehearse with myself in the bathroom mirror, I-"I cut him off by placing my handon his shoulder."It's just me." I whispered."W-what?" He hesitated, his anxietyeasing."My mom pays for it, but only I livethere.""If you're there alone all night, thenyes I'm coming.""Wait," I continued. "Christopher andI stayed there alone together.""Oh, I see.""Yeah, so, never mind, we don't havetoo." I looked down at the concrete. Heused one of his hands to lift my face so thatI was meeting him eye to eye."I don't care. He's your past now. Ifyou want me there, I'll be there." I noddedmy head and he responded by holding openthe passenger side door and waiting for meto buckle before closing it. He wonderedover to the driver's side and hopped in. I gave him directions to the apartment andoff we went.Once we arrived and made it up theflight of stairs, I lead William inside andnoticed that not only was the place a wreck,but it contained the musty smell of dirtygym socks. I heard William sniffing."Smells like home." He and I bothlaughed, mine being more of a relief laugh.As I was walking to throw the keys on thekitchen table, I tripped over those stupidhigh heelsI bought for prom; William caught me bythe arm. He was holding me and we werestaring at each other, the silence beingbroken by a serious query from William."Did you really mean what you saidabout wanting to be with me?" I answeredwith a nod of my head. William grabbed myface, and within the next second, he waskissing me. I didn't stop him; I embracedhim more, pushing my body against him. He reacted well to my body and we ended upmaking love on top of a pile of dirty clothes."Fuck!" William screamed when hepulled out after finishing. We were both outof breath and drowning in sweat as we usedone of the dirty tee shirts to clean up thentossed it back on the floor. I rushed to thebathroom to throw my robe over my nakedbody while William slipped back into hisjeans and muscle shirt. We made our wayinto the bedroom and turned on the TV,falling asleep to reruns of 'Pretty Little Liars.'