Chapter 27

When we arrived at the house,Christopher rushed into his room andslammed the door behind him. I ploppedmyself on the long sofa and stared up at thedarkened ceiling. In the silence throughoutthe house, I could hear Lyn laughing everynow and then. The more she laughed, themore curious I became. I got up and mademy way to her bedroom door, not knockingas I invited myself in.She glanced at me and then lockedher phone and threw the journal and penshe was using in the top drawer of her nightstand and we were then staring ateach other through pitch blackness."Can I help you?" Lyn finally spoke."Yes," I responded, making my wayover to her bed, closing the door behind me.I climbed into her bed and laid my head onher pillow. "I need to sleep in your bed.""Really? What's wrong withChristopher's bed, or better yet, your ownbed?""Your mean mom won't let me sleepwith Christopher or take me to theapartment.""Christopher has a car.""Not anymore," I answered through ayawn. Lyn looked at me clueless. "You reallyhad no idea your mom left? We crashed thecar. It was an accident, but she came to pickus up, but boy was she pissed." Lyn shookher head."No, I really didn't know. I'vebeen...busy." "Doing what, playing with yourself?"She shrugged."Maybe, but seriously LeighAnn, areyou too good to sleep on a couch for onenight?""I have never slept on a couch day inmy life.""Well, I guess today is the day youscratch that off the bucket list.""No, I'm not, and who the hell hasthat poor people shit on their bucket list?""Geez LeighAnn, you're so extra!""Well, so is Guacamole!""What?!" I had confused her, I evenconfused myself. I yawned again, and thistime I whispered to Lyn that I had a secretto tell her."It was me. I crashed the car. I wasdriving." I confessed before falling into adeep slumber.