Chapter 6

"Let's talk outside," Kabir said, walking outside onto the terrace, and closing the door behind him. Mythri crouched down, and peeped outside from the crusty yellow kitchen window. She thanked her stars that Kabir didn't realize that she could see from the window. Mythri didn't know what the 'tourists' had said, but she knew if Kabir had gone outside to talk with them, it must have been something big or important. 

Kabir and Farhan walked to the edge of the terrace, far away from earshot of the window, while the woman stayed back. She got bored waiting at the door, and eventually walked near the window. She peeped inside, and her eyes widened in surprise. She pushed her sunglasses up to the top of her head, showing a slightly plump, but kind face. Mythri partially cracked open the crusty yellow window, so that the other woman could hear her.

"Hello," Mythri whispered, quickly getting up and looking outside of the window, to make sure Kabir didn't notice. "What's going on?" she asked, voice still weak and hoarse from the previous night.

"Oh, my husband used to own this property twenty years back along with a Mr. Arun Shah; he apparently found a key to somewhere in this..." she faltered, looking at the house. "...hut, house, whatever you want to call it. Apparently, there's a lot of money for a girl named Mythri Sh—"

"Hema! Where are you, let's go!" 

"Go! Go!" Mythri quickly shoved the window down, and retreated back down below the sink, occupying herself in placing steel plates into the shelves. She heard Hema's footsteps quickly retreating. Arun Shah? My father? He left money for me? Can I finally get out of here? Her thoughts swirled around her head as her heartbeat quickened. She looked through the window. Farhan and Hema were talking to each other. Hema kept glancing at the window, and Kabir had his arms crossed, watching the two strangers intently. He inadvertently flicked his eyes to the window, and locked eyes with Mythri. She quickly ducked down, behind the counter.

"I saw a girl —" Hema started telling Farhan, but was cut short through her own scream. Mythri's heart stopped. Why is she screaming? Hema screamed again and again, and quick footsteps were heard, before everything went silent. She heard multiple thuds, and she silently debated whether she should look, or not. As the silence grew, Mythri hesitated, but slowly got into a crouch and peeked out the window. 

She almost screamed, and quickly clamped her hands over her mouth tightly.

Kabir was holding a heavy metal beam, and both Farhan and Hema were on the ground, blood seeping from their heads violently.