Chapter 2: Beagle Ball

Like a flash, the Beagle at the bat threw a fast ball. Diane, who had no idea this guy's throwing style, and was not nearly prepared to play ball yet - refrained from trying to hit the ball. She needed to get a feel of this pitcher before she tried to hit the ball.

"What's the matter girly - afraid you'll miss the ball?" one of the other boys called from the field. Diane stuck her tongue out at the offending Beagle, and made herself relax. She looked the pitcher up and down, noticing how he favored his right hand when Burger threw the ball back at him. The kid was tall, and lanky - and probably relied a lot on a sort of sling shot effect when he threw the ball.

Which meant he was really good with aim...and that meant she needed to watch where she swung her bat. If she wasn't careful, she would strike out three time - and then she'd be out of luck. These Beagles were a tough bunch, and she didn't want to know what they'd do if she lost...and to be honest, she was a little scared of what they'd do if she won.

"You gonna hit the ball this time?" Ma Beagle asked from the stands, prompting Diane to glance back. The woman was siting back on one of the bleachers, looking confident that Diane wouldn't win. "Not that I care. I mean, how likely is it that a duck like you will be able to beat my boys?"

Scowling, Diane turned back to the pitcher. He was winding back up again, and Diane tried to calculate where his ball would go. She watched his eyes as they locked onto Burger's glove, and she adjusted her bat so it would swing right out in front of Burger's glove. Hopefully this wouldn't be a strike.

Taking a deep breath, Diane held it, pulling the bat back and preparing to swing. She tried to keep her eye on the ball - but when the Beagle hid it with her hand, she was forced to wait...

Then, suddenly, he pulled back and let his ball go - straight for Burger's glove. With a swing that took years to perfect, she shifted her weight so that the bat would have more force if - when it hit the ball.

With a resounding crack!, Diane felt the shocking force of the ball hitting the bat, and prayed the wooden tool wouldn't break. Then, watching as the ball flew past the pitcher and into the out field, she dropped her bat and ran. She ran faster than she'd ever run before - because right now it felt like her life was on the line.

"Get the ball, boys!!" Ma Beagle shouted as Diane stole the first two bases. She was breathing heavily as she glanced back at the out field. One of the Beagle Boys had grabbed the ball, and now they were tossing the ball to one another, in a more or less straight line, and getting close to the bases.

"Come on, only two bases left..." Diane said to herself, halfway between second and third base. From behind her she could hear the sound of pounding feet, and she fought the urge to glance back. She was almost at third base - and if she was quick she might be able to make it in home all in one run...

The sound of a ball whizzing past her ear changed her mind, however. She felt the air move as the ball moved past her, and watched as the white ball flew by the Beagle at third base. Feeling a spike of fear, and a renewed sense of energy - Diane put on the speed and hit third base before she started for Home. From behind her, she could hear the Beagles scrambling for the ball, and could only hope they became so engrossed in getting the ball that they forgot about her.

No such luck.

"She's getting away!!" Ma Beagle shouted, and Diane glanced up at the bleachers. She wished her own mom, Daisy, was there to cheer her on - and of course she could daydream her dad would be there too...

"Dad," Diane said, her legs faltering for a moment. She'd lost herself so much in the game she'd forgotten why'd she come to Duckburg. Taking once last glance behind her, and seeing the pitcher taking careful aim so he could hit her with the ball - Diane jumped and slid the rest of the way into home base.

Through a cloud of dust, she felt her webbed foot hit the home base, a split second before she heard the sound of a ball hitting a glove. Coughing, Diane decided she'd better not move until the dust settled, and everyone could see her touching home base.

"Is she out?!" Ma Beagle exclaimed, coming down the bleachers and approaching, ignoring the dust cloud. Burger, who was well above the cloud of dust, glanced at his Ma, and then down at the cloud of dust where Diane was. Burger had a choice...he could choose to lie and say this young duck was out, or tell the truth and risk facing the wrath of his mom.

"Um..." Burger said, unsure of what to do.

"Well??" Ma asked, folding her arms and scowling at the baseball field. As the dust settled, Diane got up and patted the dust off her t-shirt. "Was she in or out? - It's a simple question, Burger - even you could answer it."

"Hey -" Diane said, scowling at Ma Beagle. The duck pointed a finger at the woman, her temper beginning to spark. She had been a victim of bullying a lot - mostly via nasty rumors. This was because everyone knew Diane Duck could throw a mean uppercut to the beak, and her temper was not one you wanted to get on the bad side of. "Let the guy make a decision. And don't go pushing him around, lady - he has as much freedom as you when it comes to making decisions."

"Why do you care how I treat my son? - he ain't none of your business."

"Oh, I don't know," Diane said, her voice becoming sarcastic. "Maybe because you're his mom and you should be encouraging him rather than berating him."

"You telling me how to talk to me boys..." Ma growled it out as a statement rather than a question.

"Maybe I am," Diane said, folding her arms and forgetting her past fear. When it came to standing up for someone, she was a bit more than reckless. She didn't care if she was going up against an adult, a sea monster, or the most popular kid in school - people deserved to be treated like people.

"She was safe," Burger said, coming between the two women before things could escalate any further.

"I'm sorry - what?" Ma asked, turning to look at her son. Her face went from anger to shock in a matter of seconds. Diane, meanwhile, let a smirk cross her beak. "Did you just say she was safe??"

"Yes." Burger stated, nodding. He felt like curling up into a little ball and hiding from the anger he knew his mom would express.

"Hey - don't get upset at him that you didn't win," Diane said, speaking up. Burger glanced between the two of them, and knew that if this duck kept pushing - Ma would sick the rest of the Beagle Boys on her.

"Hey - don't you have somewhere to go?" He asked, glancing up at the sky. It was getting dark, and it looked like there were storm clouds on the horizon. Diane glanced at the sky, and felt her anger dampen somewhat.

"Geez - I didn't think it was so late..." She said, going for her bag. Ma Beagle, however, had a different idea.

"Now you listen here, girl," The Beagle said, blocking Diane from moving. "I don't know how you beat my boys, but -"

"Listen lady," Diane said, her anger flaring a moment. She pointed her finger right at Ma Beagles nose. "I could care less who won or lost the game - Yeah, I'm a bit competitive at times - but the real winner of the game is the one who has the most fun. And if you want a rematch, I'd be glad to obliged - but right now I'm trying to find someone so -" Diane dodged past the woman and towards her bag. Tossing the bag over her shoulder, she turned back once before running off. "Bye for now!"