Chapter One

Ruin stepped out of the void, arriving with his Rider in Eden on the path to the Tree of Life.  The armored, white-haired Nephilim patted his steed's muscular neck, keeping his gaze down and hidden under his scarlet hood for the time being.  At least, until he resolved that his coming here was a good idea.

Two hundred years had passed since he'd left Faith in Eden, and War almost dreaded how she'd react to his sudden arrival.  Orders were orders, however, and the Council had adamantly decided to send him, since Faith already trusted him.

Knowing her, he thought to himself, I've likely broken that trust.

He swallowed the urge to sigh and steeled himself to their upcoming encounter, knowing full well that trying to explain himself to her would be pointless.  

Finally, he looked up and found four armed and armored men surrounding him, crossing their spears and swords to block his way.  The Horseman raised a brow, both curious and annoyed.

"State your name and business," one of the humans demanded.

"War.  I'm to meet with Faith Daring."

The soldiers exchanged startled looks, then stowed their weapons and bowed their heads in respect.

"Apologies, Sir Horseman," said the first human to speak.  "Your arrival was unexpected."  He turned to one of his comrades.  "Send word to the Daria at once."

The second man nodded, then turned on his heel and ran, his armor barely hindering his speed.

The first soldier turned once more to the Horseman.  "It is customary for all visitors to first meet with the Daria before entering the cities."

"Why is that?" War asked.

"So that the children won't be frightened.  Newcomers are always more trustworthy in the presence of the Daria."

"I see.  And who is the Daria?"

The humans all blinked.  "The person you came here to see, sir," said the first soldier.

War ignored the looks they were giving him, instead casting his bright eyes towards the end of the path.  Grunting, he dismounted Ruin.

"How long with the message take to reach her?" he asked.

"That depends on the messenger," the third soldier replied.

"We don't have the Old Kingdom's communications network," said the fourth.  "The Daria said it would take a few centuries to redevelop that technology."

And so, the Horseman waited, grunting and grimacing as the soldiers continued to point their spears at him.  He could have told them how foolish they looked, or disarmed them before they could blink, but he let them keep their pride.  After all, his business here was not with them.

After perhaps an hour, when the sun had moved to its late-afternoon post, a large grey shape bounded toward him, barking excitedly.  War allowed himself a grin as the ancient creature pounced him, forepaws on his armored shoulders, and bombarded his face with licks of salutations.

"Easy, Fenrir," War said, pushing the massive wolf from his person.  Fenrir barked again, wagging his tail in earnest.  "It's good to see you, too."

Fenrir moved to greet Ruin, and the two beasts quarreled and boasted as they had in the past.  Shaking his head, War looked behind Fenrir and saw that he had a female with him.  The other wolf was also in her largest form, though she was slightly smaller than Fenrir.  Her grey fur was a lighter shade that looked almost white in the sunlight.  Her bright blue eyes glowed with eldritch power.  Her build was elegant and lovely and she stood with a regality that was both graceful and lethal.  War smirked again.