Hayes - Seven

7 – Hayes

Now – November

I was enjoying talking to Ansley on FaceTime, seeing her beautiful face when I just couldn't sleep was amazing. Watching her blush, and giggle was making my night. As much as I just wanted to ask her out on a freaking date, I had to just chill and take a step back, take everything extra slow. Not because I thought something was going to happen between us or anything like that, more for the fact that if I went into something new headfirst the chances of a relapse were high. I wasn't going to let that happen, I mean I was going to try not to let that happen. She yawned and it was the cutest thing.

"Sorry, I don't know where that came from." I was laughing and yawned also. Then we both started laughing.

"It's contagious." I shrugged.

"Don't you have work early tomorrow?" I nodded. "You should get some sleep then it's already almost midnight." I shrugged again.

"I'll survive. I enjoy talking to you." She bit her lip obviously trying to hide a smile. "Do you work tomorrow?"

"I do, a 12-hour shift only days I have off every Thurs, Friday, and Saturday most weeks." Holy shit.

"All 12-hour shifts?" My eyes went wide.

"Plus, school." She laughed.

"Damn. Well I'm going to let you go, so you can get some sleep." He laughed. "Text me, call me, whenever."

"Okay." It was barely a whisper. "Right back at ya, phones work both ways."

"They sure do." We had matching smiles. "Goodnight Ansley."

"Goodnight Hayes, give Hadlee an extra kiss for me tomorrow." I smiled wider and didn't think that was possible.

"I sure will." She bit her lip and waved before the screen went black. I let my phone fall lightly to my chest but picked it up a minute later when a text came in.

Rick – You up? Like I know you ain't my sponsor or anything, but I can't get ahold of mine.

Me – I'm up. What's going on buddy.

Rick – I shot up again.

Me – When?

Rick – Earlier today. It's stupid man so fucking stupid.

Me – Do you know why you did it?

Rick – Yea, that girl I was seeing man...she broke things off when I relapsed like two months back or whatever it was. I don't fucking know. But then I tried to reach out to her the past few days and she hasn't answered.

Me – Were you upfront with her about being addicted and everything?

Rick – Yea

Me – Before two months ago when was the last time you slipped up?

Rick – Like six months.

Me – That's the issue buddy, you've got to stay away from the ladies. How long were y'all together?

Rick – A while like almost a year. I met her a few months after you and I met. I'm fucked up man.

Me – Where are you?

Rick – Fucking middle of the city.

Me – Daniel can come get you.

Rick – Na dude I only want to talk to you or my fucking sponsor.