chapter three

{B R O O K E}

{B R O O K E}

"You know Drew, I never pinned you as the type to have a higher grade in French than English. A language you actually speak." I smiled as we walked out of class.

"Speaking the language doesn't mean crap, I tanked that stupid analysis of Death of a Salesman." He explained as we arrived at my locker.

"Could have asked for my notes, Hughes." I smiled as I opened the door.

"Well then what would you have used?"

"My brain." I said as he stuck his tongue out at me.

"Excuse me, excuse me, exc- move! " The voice of my best friend called through the crowded hallway as she broke through the sea of people and came to a screeching hault at my locker.

"You are never going to guess what happened to me today before Chem." Mel gushed.

"Hi to you too, Melanie." Drew teased.

"Scram, Hughesy. Girl talk." She said.

"See you guys outside." Drew laughed before disappearing down the hall.

"Okay, what happened?" I asked, closing my locker.

"Do you know Pacey Griffin?" Mel asked.

"Uh, no? Am I supposed to?" I asked as we walked, well I walked and Mel practically danced.

"No, it's fine. I didn't." She said. "Anyway, this super cute stranger walks up to me at my locker and tells me his name is Pacey Griffin and that he wants to take me to winter formal."

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

"I know!" She exclaimed.

"Seriously, who the hell is Pacey Griffin?" I asked as we approached the doors.

"Apparently he's the captain of the PCEP hockey team." She said as we stepped outside.

"Pacey Griffin?" Clayton asked, appearing as if from no where.

"Holy shit, Clay." Mel smacked him. "You scared me"

"What about Pacey Griffin?" Clay asked as we walked toward the usual meeting spot.

"He asked Melanie to the winter formal." I explained and she shoved me.

"Oh, did he?" Clayton smiled. "I didn't know you talked to him."

"I don't. I didn't even know he was a person until 4 hours ago." She explained.

"So you're going to the dance with a stranger and forcing us all to go alone?" Clay asked.

"You can find dates, you're big boys and girls." Melanie smiled as we approached Connor and Drew.

"Please can we not talk about the stupid formal for like ten minutes." Drew said. "My head hurts."