Chapter 7: The Great Escape

The next morning, when the sun was bright overhead, the sounds of the Royal drums near the gallows were to be the last time I would hear them. I stood with my hands tied with thick rope, and guards surrounded me so I couldn't escape. Jack stood above everyone on the scaffold of the gallows, with a noose at his gaze.

We were placed in Fort Charles, a stronghold in Port Royal

We were placed in Fort Charles, a stronghold in Port Royal. It was located on a bluff that looked over the harbor of the Caribbean Sea, over the docks. It also happened to be where the gallows were located. At least we had a great view of our beloved sea for our last moments.

I could feel the haunting energy that surrounded these gallows. Where a necklace of rope strangled and broke the necks of many pirates before us, and more after us. I would be less worried if I got to be side by side with Jack, rather than watch him slip away from life and a new rope be knotted for my execution.

A man in a black cloak said off of a scroll, "Jack Sparrow, you have been charged, tried and convicted for your willful commission of crime against the Crown, said crimes being numerous in quantity and sinister in nature, the most egregious of these to be cited herewith: piracy, smuggling, impersonating an officer of the Spanish Royal Navy, impersonating a cleric of the Church of England, sailing under false colors, arson, kidnapping, looting, poaching, brigandage, pilfering, depravity, depredation, and general lawlessness. And for these crimes, you have been sentenced to be, on this day, hung by the neck until dead. May God have mercy in your soul."

I looked up at Jack and noticed that he was already looking down at me. His proud smile after hearing his crimes was quickly wiped away, and we exchanged helpless looks.

The executioner wrapped the noose around Jack's neck, and I clenched my jaw at the thought of how I would soon have to watch Jack swing, and I would promptly be next

The executioner wrapped the noose around Jack's neck, and I clenched my jaw at the thought of how I would soon have to watch Jack swing, and I would promptly be next. I wanted to go out on my own terms, not because of some English pirate that I may or may not fancy.

I looked out to the water and I could hear freedom calling out for me. I could feel it in my bones that this was a premature, unnecessary end to my life. I have practically no chance of survival, but I want the world to remember me and avenge me for this wrongful death.