Chapter Thirty-Two: Flower power

Violet - Earlier that day...

Finding my way down to the Defence Against The Dark Arts room for my detention proved to be more difficult than I anticipated.

I took several wrong turns, and possibly several more. It got to the point where I nearly - nearly - asked for directions.

But I was far too stubborn and proud to do such a thing.

I was already five minutes late by the time I'd figured out which direction I was supposed to be heading. My legs walked me down a long, echoey corridoor half-empty of students. Most of them were still in the great hall, eating their evening meal. I'd said goodbye to Hermione, Ginny, Ron and the others a couple of minutes ago. Making out like I felt unwell.

I was too ashamed to tell them I had gotten a detention with Draco Malfoy -- of whom they all despised.

My swirling thoughts made for a deadly distraction on my journey down to the classroom, so much so that I didn't look where I was going when I hurridley rounded the corner, and crashed into a wall.

I squeezed my eyes shut, a sharp gasp escaping me at the impact. And for a moment, there was a wistful idea that crossed me -- one I'd thought about often enough before now: Maybe I've accidently bumped into a tall, mysterious, illegally good-looking boy with brown curly hair and green eyes, and maybe he'll scowl at me and tell me to "watch where I'm going" only later we'll bump into each other again, at a party, perhaps, and he'll be super mean to everyone, super intimidating - but he'll have a soft spot for me, and we'll fall in love and he'll take me to the fairground, and we'll kiss ontop of the carousel, and then we'll have some huge fight ontop of the carousel, just for the extra added drama, and for the sole purpose of strengthening the relationship, and then it'll end with the two of us living happily ever after in some cottage by the sea with two dogs, a cat, chickens and a ring on both our fingers. Happily ever after, just like in the movies.

Maybe that was what was going to happen to me, right then. Maybe, the universe was going to play nice for once and give me the cliche romance story I so desperaetly and shamefully craved? I opened my eyes, expectantly. Excited.

But alas, it was just a stone wall I'd bumped into.

I groaned, shooting a quick glance around to see if anyone had seen my embarassing crash. Nope, nobody had - oh, dammit. I did a double take. And there was Fred Weasley, leaning against the wall holding a small, wooden box, an amused smile warming his face.

"What did the wall ever do to you?" He chuckled, strolling over to come to a stop opposite me. "And where are you off to in such a rush, anyway? Escaping from Malfoy again? Can't blame you. The guy's a headache."

"I'm off to the detention." I blinked, suddenly flashing an amused smile. "Shouldn't you be there as well?"

Fred shrugged a shoulder, looking a somewhat sheepish as he fiddled with the strange, wooden box in his hands.

"Ah, I will be there. I will. Don't you worry, I wouldn't miss it for the world. But I've got to err, well - i'm waiting for my friend to stop by and pick up this box with his... herbs for potions in it. He left it in my dorm, you see."

Fred suddenly cleared his throat, his lip curling into a small, excitable smile.

"The classroom's only down there, by the way, just incase you happened to be lost." He nodded his head to a door a short way down the corridoor. "It's the one that Hufflepuff guy is standing outside of."

"Timotheé?"

I stood on my tiptoes, straining my neck to spot him. "Oh, perfect, I needed to find him so I could cancel our... plans." I mumbled, more to myself than to Fred. "I better go and tell him now before-"