Sick Day

**unedited**

Sun crept through the windows as it began to rise over the horizon. Although your blinds were barely open, the bright light still reached your eyes, causing you to slowly peel them open. You exhaled with a morning stretch which soon turned into a fit of coughs. Great. You sniffled to see how clogged your sinuses really were. You could barely breathe. You grabbed a tissue from the small pouch in the nightstand next to your bed and used all the force you could muster to remove the plugged mucus, but to no avail. You sighed and laid back on the fluffed up pillows behind you. It felt as though your head was filled with cotton balls, causing you to think less coherently. This was a great way to wake up.

Your mom soon walked in, "(Y/N), time to get up for school," she said softly.

"Hey mom," you coughed loudly, "I don't think school is a good idea today. I feel absolutely terrible, I think I got sick overnight."

"Oh sweetie," she came in and placed a cold hand on your forehead, "well you do have a fever. I'll call the school and bring up a Gatorade for you."

You smiled and gave her a quick nod as you picked up your glasses lying on a stack of books and placed them on your face. You slouched back down into the pillow and unplugged your phone from its charger and began to scroll through the couple notifications. A few likes on Instagram and a text message from your best friend were the only things to show up.

You opened up the messages to reply to your best friend, (B/N-bestie name), "Hey (Y/N)! I'm already at school if you want to come meet me early!"

It was sent only a few minutes before, you replied with, "Hey (B/N)! Sorry can't make it today... My body decided to catch this gnarly cold." You locked your phone and sighed as you placed it on your stomach. You closed your eyes for a few minutes until your mom came in with a hydrating Gatorade and a couple of movie options.

"Hey honey, I thought you might want to watch a movie or something since you usually can't fall back to sleep once you're up. Here's my laptop and I brought your favorite movies up for you!" She put the items next to you.

You smiled, "Thanks mom, that's just what the doctor ordered." You gladly inserted your favorite movie into the computer's disc drive and placed the device on your lap.

Your mom exited the room, leaving you in peace. Sick days were nice every once in a while, not having to deal with people or lectures or homework. A quiet day was always necessary. Your thoughts were soon interrupted by a ring. You had received a text message. You gave a quick glance over to your phone that glowed in the dim light of the room. You expected (B/N) to show up on the screen, but instead you noticed that it said "Hiro".

You smiled and unlocked your phone to read the message, "Hey (Y/N)! Where are you at?"

"Hey Hiro! I'm not feelin' to hot today... Am I missing anything important?"

"Oh you know, integrals and the fundamental theorem of Calculus... It's all good, I'll just teach you how to do them."

"That would be great genius!"

"What're you sick with?"

"Just this stupid cold. But I get to watch movies and drink Gatorade all day."

"Doesn't sound so bad!"

"Nah, not at all! I should be back in school soon."

"Good! Now get back to your movie and rest."

"Yes master!" you giggled and put your phone down once the conversation had ended.

You flipped on the movie and soon you fell back to sleep. Slouched in a pile of pillows and layered with blankets, your body didn't feel like going anywhere. You awoke in darkness as though the sun had already gone down, but you soon realized that the blanket you were snuggled under was draped over your face. You removed the soft fabric enough to have visual capabilities and glanced at your phone's clock, 1:02 p.m.