Chapter 31 - The Acceptance [Durga Puja Special]

Flashback

The eighth day of Durga Puja was more about traditions and rituals than enjoyment. We girls were all dressed in the traditional banarasi paired with gold ornaments while the boys had opted for dhoti kurta rather than the usual khadi pants.

However, the showstoppers were Debdyut's mother and aunts. Among their beautiful jewellery, the most admiring was the huge gold nose ring that gave out old-world vibes. With the end of the saree covering their heads, they all looked exactly like Bengal royals.

Most of us were fasting to take part in the Sandhi Puja ritual, which was scheduled to happen around six in the evening. I was not used to fastings like Chitra and Rai and this was my first time. Rai had warned that it would be really tough after the day's tiredness but I didn't listen. I wanted to be a part of this ritual and pray for my love to flourish and overcome all struggle.

"You could have prayed during any of the rituals, you don't have to fast for that," Chitra tried to convince me.

"No, I want to do this. Besides I have never been a part of the puja like this before. It's an experience I am looking forward to," I was adamant.

"Fine stubborn lady. Then go and take rest for some time. We will call you before the puja," Rai got up with the huge brass tray that aunty was asking for to keep the 108 lotuses.

Chitra urged me to go and rest. I only left after they promised to call me before the puja.

I knew if I slept I wouldn't be able to get up. Hence I decided to spend some time watching the sunset. Debdyut's house had a small terrace in the middle of their huge rooftop connected by a spiral staircase.

I climbed up slowly and reached the terrace. I could see the Kolkata skyline and the beautiful Howrah Bridge clearly from there. The sun had painted a beautiful shade of orange mixed with yellow and red over the sky. There was a very different scent hovering in the air. People say it was associated with the festival. I could also smell the charming scent of the shiuli or the night-blooming jasmine flowers.

I turned to see there was a small tree of the flower located in the corner of that terrace

I turned to see there was a small tree of the flower located in the corner of that terrace. I went near it and brushed my hands on the bloomed flowers. The soft delicate white buds relaxed me within seconds. I wanted to pick one but hesitated. It looked better on the tree rather than on my hair.

A soft breath tickled my neck. I turned and fell right into Mahen's embrace. I gasped, when did he come up. I didn't even notice. "When did you come here?"

"A few seconds ago," he said smiling.

"But I didn't even sense it."

"That's because you were too lost. The flowers seemed to have got your full attention. I am jealous!"