The Hub

Location: Siberia

I drummed my fingers against the wheel, waiting for Coulson and the other to get back from their mission. I heard thudding, and a little display of the Bus showed me that the ramp was closed. I flicked the necessary levers, pulling the wheels up and we took off into the sky. I flipped the switch for autopilot, then moved into the main cabby of the Bus. "So...what are we doing now? I've got us hovering, but we'll need to get going before we start running out of fuel," I said, leaning against one of the structures.

"We're headed to the Hub," May said shortly. "The Hub?" I questioned. "It's a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility," Ward said. "Gee, really? I never could have gathered that," I said, sarcasm dripping from my words. "Quiet, Asya," May scolded as we moved to the cockpit.

"Why did we fish this guy out of Siberia?" I asked. "He has valuable information," She said. "What kind of information?" I queried. "That's Level 8 Classification," She said. "Level 8? What am I, Level 0?" I asked.

"You've gotten used to the way we run things on the Bus; everyone knows where we're going, why we're going, and what we're getting. It's different at the Hub," She said. "That didn't answer my question," I pointed out. "In S.H.I.E.L.D., the higher level you are, the more information you have access to. Compartmentalization is why S.H.I.E.L.D. the way it is. No one can spill all the secrets because no one has them all. Since you're not a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, you don't have a level," She explained.

-

The Hub, Location: Classified

"S.H.I.E.L.D. 616, you are cleared for landing," A voice said. "Okay. Let's do this," I muttered, finagling with the position of the Bus until we could land vertically. I made a stop at my bunk, grabbing my box and pulling out my only eyepatch. Straightening the strap, I clasped it over my blind eye and joined the others in the hanger. "Why are you wearing an eyepatch?" Ward asked as I approached.

"Half-blind, remember? I'm not walking around with sunglasses on," I said, coming to a stop next to May. The hanger door opened, and we filed out into the busy stream of the Hub. "Didn't realize big brother was this big," Skye said, fighting to keep pace with the group. "Oh, this is nothing. Wait until you see the Triskelion," Simmons said. "Everyone's wearing the same suit. Someone tell me why, please," We came up to a table, and everyone picked up a badge.

"Do I get a badge?" I asked, and May passed me one with TRAINEE written on it. I clasped it onto my shirt, descending the staircase. "Agent Sitwell," Coulson greeted. "Agent Coulson. Good to see you feeling better. Agent Hand's waiting for you in the situation room," A bald man greeted. "And she doesn't like to wait," Coulson said.

"So you know her?" Sitwell asked. "Only her reputation. After you," Coulson said. "Your Level 7s can join us in the briefing," Sitwell said, letting his face be scanned. "Victoria Hand is here?" Fitz-Simmons said in disbelief. Skye got trapped, and Fitz-Simmons shuffled off to the labs, saying something about chem kits.

"I don't think it likes me here," Skye said. A girl passed by, seeing Skye stuck to the door. "Oh, here. Let me help you with that," She said, coming over and typing in a password after her face was scanned. The magnet released, and Skye let her hand drop. "So sorry about that. It's happened to a lot of agents," She said.

"Your agents wear tracking bracelets?" Skye asked. "No, but they do get stuck on this door. I'm Ellie, by the way. Or Agent Scotch, whichever you prefer," She said. "Nice to meet you, Ellie. You're an agent here?" I asked. "Level 6. I'm working on getting to Level 7, though. Trainee, huh? Who's your SO?" She asked. "Um, Agent May," I said, and her jaw dropped.

"The Cavalry?" She asked in disbelief. "Okay, someone needs to explain why she's called The Cavalry," Skye said. "No one really knows. The story gets bigger every year," Ellie admitted. "I said never to call me that," May, Ward, and Coulson were back. "Agent Scotch? What are you doing here?" Ward asked.