Seeds

The Bus, Location: Classified

"There is nothing more unsettling, being apart of something so horrible, completely unaware. The cadet could've died. We drew up those concepts years ago. We didn't know that they'd be applied in any way," Fitz-Simmons said. "Is this the device they found in the frozen pool? Correction--the instantly frozen indoor pool," Skye said. "It seems like it was planted in the filter days before like someone was waiting for those specific cadets," Ward said. "Well, as far as they can tell, the device uses a crystalline nucleation process she designed. And a delivery mechanism he invented. That's why we're being asked to consult on the investigation," Fitz-Simmons said. "So, we're going to the academy?" I asked.

"Science and Technology division. Cadets are pretty shaken up over what happened. Agent Weaver asked if you two could speak to the student body about potentiality to calm them down," Ward said. "Of course. The Talk. We've all heard the Talk," Simmons muttered. "We haven't," Skye said. "I guess you will," Ward muttered. "Well, I've heard a lot about the Academy. I'm excited to finally see it," Skye said.

"Me, too. Never been to Sci-Tech before," Ward said. "Never? Huh. The different S.H.I.E.L.D. Academies don't interact?" I asked. "Not much. Academy of Communications does, but they're the biggest and focus on Data Analysis," Ward said. "Boring. It's the easiest to get into. That's where you'd be Skye," Fitz-Simmons said. "Thanks," Skye said.

"Operations is the most aggressive program. More people wash out of operations than the other academies," Ward said. "So, which one's the hardest to get into? I'm picking up on the rivalry between Sciences and Operations. Are you and Coulson past all that, or you gonna help Ward steal their mascot?" She asked May, who was passing by. "We're not going. After we drop you 5 off, Coulson and I have other matters to attend to," May said, then walked off. "Coulson hasn't come out of his office in awhile, and May's getting more irate by the minute. Do you think he's alright?" I asked. "We saw him at a low. It's not easy for anybody. But Coulson's tough as they come. He'll be good. Just give him time. And while he takes that time, it's on us to figure out what's going on at the Academy,"

-

S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy - Science and Technology Division, Location: North America

"This was the SSR facility before S.H.I.E.LD. was even founded. SSR stands for--" Simmons started. "Strategic Scientific Reserve. Yeah, I know. Is this where you got all your PhDs?" Skye asked. "Oh, no, you need at least one to get through the door. Is Science and Technology what you imagined, Agent Ward?" Fitz-Simmons said. "Yep--no uniforms, no rope course, no defined muscularity on anyone," Ward said. "No marching in place, no I.Q.s in double digits," Fitz shot back.

"There they are. So good to see you," A woman, presumably Weaver, said as she approached. "You look as lovely as ever. I concur," Fitz-Simmons greeted, shaking her hand. "Agent Ward. Pleasure to have you, sir," She greeted. "Agent Weaver. There's a list of suspects?" He asked. "Based on the level of intelligence it would take to put a device together like the one we found, we've narrowed it down to the top 10% of our cadets. I'm worried there's a bad seed," She said.

"Ops and Sciences have differences, but both have to be careful about what we call 'bad seeds,' people who want to use the tools we give them for--" He started. "'Bad seed' isn't a S.H.I.E.L.D. term, Ward, just a term," I said. "I know you've already questioned the victim, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask him myself," Ward said. "I'll arrange for you to talk to Seth Dormer when he's out of class. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to get Agents Fitz and Simmons settled into the lecture hall," The three of them took off, leaving us three standing in the grass. "Look at them--the popular kids. Who knew?" Skye asked.

"I did. Come on. While we have a minute, I think there's something you both will want to see," He led us to a large wall titled the Wall of Valor. "The Wall of Valor," I said. "So you've read about it?" He asked. "Every S.H.I.E.L.D. facility has a memorial to the agents lost in the line of duty. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s history can be traced on walls like this," Skye said. "Huh. 'Bucky' Barnes and 'Becca' Barnes," I said, spotting the two names.