Chapter 13

Nico was right. Theo texted again. This time, bringing up something about Naruto to spark conversation. Basically, Theo's just talking to Nico because he's the one scripting all of the texts. All I really do is press send.

I'm not sure what kind of reputation Theo has in our school. I tried asking Samaya but she says she doesn't know him that well. All she knows is that he's on the football team and dated Izzy Coleman freshman year.

That being said, it's somehow gotten around that he and I are talking, which we really aren't. Of course these rumors have somehow spiraled into me cheating on Brian with Theo, which is why he's with Kenzie and a bunch of other bullshit. It would be funny if it wasn't so stupid.

These rumors are perpetrated by him walking me to class after physics. He isn't really walking me to class, though. I can walk myself. We just happen to be walking in the same direction.

"You're confident," he tells me as we start to pack up. "That's the first thing that I noticed about you." He always says this and it's weird because confident isn't necessarily a word that I would use to describe myself.

"That's how you see me?" I ask. I'm not mad at the description, just curious.

"That and you know how to dress," he says. Ah yes, my new wardrobe and new confidence.

"Where are all of these compliments coming from?" I ask, laughing slightly.

"I just want you to know how special you are," he replies smoothly. An awkward laugh escapes my lips. I don't understand guys that can just say stuff like that with a straight face.

"You don't even know me," I say as we approach my class.

"I want to know you, Jennie."

I don't know how to reply to this but luckily we approach my class at that minute. I settle on, "Ok, Theo. See you tomorrow?"

"Have a good class," he says and I wave before walking in.

---

"Theo Pereira?" A voice hisses at me as I'm walking in the halls. I don't have to look to know it's Brian. "Really, Jennie? You're that desperate?"

"It's none of your business," I say.

"How is it not my business when people are saying you were talking to him while you were dating me?"

I face him, glaring and wondering what I ever saw in him. Samaya's right. He's not even cute. "We both know that isn't true. And why do you even care? We're done and you have a girlfriend."

He shakes his head. "You're so pathetic, Jennie. If you're trying to replace me, maybe do it with a guy who doesn't go around fucking freshmen."

I stop walking. "It's not your life, Brian. Stop following me around." I start to walk off again and I'm a good distance away when he calls out after me.

"Wait, Jennie. I'm sorry, okay?" he says.

I turn around. "Why are you doing this, Brian?"

"I just... I miss you," he says, his voice soft. "I miss our friendship."

What a load of shit.

"Can we be friends again?" he asks.

Not just a load of shit. 500 tons of shit.

"Of course, Brian," I say, smiling widely. "I would love to be your friend."

600 tons of shit and a truck of shit on top of that.

Just wait till Nico finds out about this.

---

"Nico!" I chase him down the halls after class. "Nico!" I run up next to him and tug on his sleeve.

"Someone's happy," he greets me with a grin.

"It fucking worked. Brian's all pissy because of Theo." Apparently the rumors about me "upgrading" have hurt his fragile ego.

"Ah, I am a genius," Nico says.

"I mean, it's not done yet. He just confronted me once but I pretended that I would be cool being friends with him, and I know that this is totally immature but I completely blame you for that and now that I'm sucked in I'm, like, determined to destroy him and I can't- what?" I ask, noticing his gaze on me. He stares down at me for a second then bursts into laughter. "Am I crazy?" I ask, laughing with him.

"No. Well, a little. You're something else, you know that?" he says, amusement in his eyes.

"What does that mean?"

He bites his lip and shakes his head. "It means it's nice to see you excited," he says.

I interlace my fingers and look at him. "Well, I guess I couldn't have done it without you," I start.

"Of course not," he agrees immediately.

"But I still have a long way to go," I continue.

"And you need my guidance."

"I don't NEED it," I say. He gives me a look and I smile. "But it is helpful, I guess."

He nods slowly. "So you're gonna let me stay longer?" he asks, already aware of the answer.

I scrunch my nose. "I don't know..." I start but quickly give it up. "You can stay for a couple more weeks but that's it."

He smiles with success. "Well, we're gonna have to find out a way to get my shit from my house then," he replies.

"We?" I repeat.

"Yes, we."

"Can't you get one of your friends to help you?"

"What? You scared or something?" he taunts.

"I'm not getting involved. You figure it out okay, Nico?" I say.

"Very helpful," he says and nudges me. "Get to class, loser." I shove him in return but I'm on Cloud 9.

A/N: happy Friday!! thanks for reading :)