Chapter Nine

Miranda's P.O.V.

My heart started to hurt the moment Clay sat down next to me on the couch. I had to get out of there before I made a fool out of myself by crying in front of him. I felt a few tears slip down my face as I walked away from the party, but I quickly wiped them away before they fell off my cheeks. I didn't care if people started to ask questions about my disappearance. I just needed time to pull myself together.

I took a seat on one of the small concrete stairs leading up to the porch, and I stared up at the dark purple sky that was full of twinkling stars. A cold breeze blew past me, causing my cheeks to freeze slightly from the tears that had fallen earlier. It's so peaceful out here. For a while, I zoned out and continued to stare at the sky. And I started to forget about what I saw.

After a while, I heard the front door open, and I looked over my shoulder to see Clay standing by the door. "Oh, it's you," I said, looking away from him before more tears could fall down my face. "Hey," Clay said as he sat down next to me on the stairs. I couldn't look him in the eye. It would hurt my heart even more. "Miranda, I know your upset with me. I can't take back what you saw, but I can tell you that it's not what it looked like," He said. I looked over to him for a split second before looking back down at the sidewalk that was lit with the pale moonlight.

"Skye told me that she had feelings for me, but I told her that I didn't have feelings for her. I had feelings for someone else," he continued. "Well, whoever she is, she'll be a lucky girl," I said as I wiped the corner of my eye. I felt Clay's hand touch my shoulder, and I looked over at him, this time not looking away. "That girl is you, Miranda," My eyes went wide when I realized that he had feelings for me the same way I had feelings for him. But, I was still hesitant to believe him after all the pain and heartbreak I had went through that year.

"This isn't a joke, right? You weren't dared to do this by Justin or anything?" I asked. He shook his head, and I could see that small twinkle in his eye that I had fallen in love with from the moment I met him. "This isn't a joke. I like you, Miranda," he confirmed. My heart started to race a thousand miles an hour, and without a second thought, I crashed my lips onto Clay's, and after a moment, we pulled apart.

"Does this mean you feel the same way?" he asked, his cheeks quickly turning a bright pink. I smiled at him and lightly pressed my forehead against his. "Yes, I feel the same way about you," I answered before I crashed my lips onto his once more.