symbiosis

October 24th, 2007 (6:32pm)

Jennie never realized life could be so complicated until she caught herself staring a little too much for a little too long at her cheerleading teammates, and that's how she learned two truths about herself.

One: she was a magnet for high school drama.

Two: Jennie Kim was, without any trace of a doubt, definitely and irrevocably not straight.

She had avoided any sort of issues at school to the best of her ability, but being fifteen, fairly popular, and rich meant it was only a matter of time before she got herself into deep shit. And boy was she in for a ride...

"Jennie? Jennie!"

The raspy yet sweet voice broke her out of whatever trance she had been in, and Jennie's breath was taken away once again.

"Huh?" she blinked some sense back into herself. "I'm sorry, Charlie, I got distracted."

"You do that a lot lately" the girl with the curly hair giggled.

And before Jennie could stop herself, the words simply escaped her mouth, and she found herself blushing and internally screaming.

"Only when you're around"

Speak of the devil, trouble had a name and a pretty little face.

Charlotte Brown had just recently transferred to Jennie's school during midterms a couple of months back, which was an odd time for a transfer. She was a bit shy at first, but quickly adapted herself to the new environment and found friendship in her classmates and the cheerleading squad, where she had been accepted quickly after an impromptu audition. Nobody knew much about her, except she came from Wellington, was an only child, and it was only her and her mother. But for Jennie, she was the girl who took her breath away from the get-go and she wanted – no, scratch that – she needed to know more about her.

Which brings us to their study sessions.

One afternoon, while doing homework in the local library, Jennie caught sight of the other girl sitting just across the room by herself, and she finally found the courage to approach her, and thus began a new friendship that had her floating on cloud nine – her hormones all over the place. And now it had become a sort of routine for them to get together for study sessions after school. However, this was the first time it happened in Jennie's house, since they usually met at the library.

Once again, Charlie's giggle interrupted her musings.

"You're cute" she said, making Jennie blush in embarrassment.

Jennie shook her head and cleared her throat for composure before speaking again, because she didn't trust herself not to say anything awkward again.

"So, have you decided yet?"

The question made Charlie groan and roll her eyes, and instead of saying anything, she simply got up from her seat at the dining table and marched her way into Jennie's kitchen, the latter following behind.

"Aw, come on! You know you love it, and you're great at it too!" Jennie insisted, plopping herself down on an island stool. "The rugby team would be lucky to have you, and I'd get to cheer for you."

She had mumbled the last part, but Charlie was still able to hear it, and a wide smile spread across her features.

"Aren't you sweet?" she said, sending a wink Jennie's way. "But I don't need your cheers when I can just cheer with you, you know."

"Yes, but you also look way happier when you're in the field with them" Jennie countered. "And I've seen girls go crazy when they see you play."

Charlie chuckled at that and, having finished her orange juice, she put the glass down on the counter and made her way to Jennie, standing incredibly close to her.