- Chapter one

- For the people that don't know, Rye is a small town in England. It's beautiful, look it up! :)

GEORGE POV

*Flashback*

It was junior year. Clay, George and some of their friends were hanging out behind the school after their classes had ended. Chatting about everything and nothing, laughing at things that, when you think about it, shouldn't even be that funny. The only thing that would annoy Clay and George is that all of their friend smoked cigarettes, a lot. They couldn't stand the second-hand smoke anymore and decided to leave together. They said their bye's to the bunch and walked towards Clay's car.

"I don't feel like going home yet." Clay admitted and then continued, "Wanna drive around with me for a while?" 

"Sure." George's face lit up, he didn't feel like going home either. Spending time with his best friend sounded like a much better plan. "Hand me the aux cord." George said, a smile plastered on his face. He loved it when the two of them listened to music together since it always ended in them not being able to stop laughing. Both of them weren't the best singers, which honestly made this whole experience funnier. 

They were singing their lungs out to Best Song Ever by One Direction. Driving towards the sunset with the sound almost at max volume. The two friends both knew all the words to this song and considered it 'their song' since they always listened to this together. 

Before they knew it, it was already getting dark outside. The moon and the starts lighting up the dark blue night sky. Clay parked his car somewhere on the edge of a cliff, he opened the trunk and rearranged the cushions that he kept in his car. He had made them a comfortable place to sit with a view of the ocean. The song Bonfire Heart by James Blunt was softly playing in the background. George rested his head on his best friend's shoulder and they talked for hours, singing along to the songs and laughing about how bad they sound til it hurt their sides. 

Hours had passed and it was already close to midnight. "We should probably head home." Clay stated. George's expression saddened a bit, he didn't want this moment to end, but he knew that his parents probably wouldn't be too happy with him if he came home even later than he already is. 

"I don't want to." It's not like they hated it at home, they just loved being around each other. They were the best of friends you could imagine. George sighed and got up out of the car. "At least we can listen to more music together while you drop me off at home." 

"You're just gonna treat me like your taxi now that I have my drivers license, aren't you?" They both chuckle. 

"At least you'll drop me off for free and you even let me put on the music, so I guess you're a better version of a taxi." 

"Why thank you." Clay said, getting out of the car and closing it.

They were both leaning against the back of the car, taking a deep breath and enjoying this moment while it lasted. Clay wrapped an arm around George and pulled him in for a big hug. "I love you, man." Clay said, appreciating the friendship the two of them shared. 

"I love you too, dipshit." George chuckled, he loved making fun of Clay. 

"I'm being all sentimental and shit and you're just gonna call me dipshit?" Clay put his hand over his heart and pretended to be hurt. 

"You're such a crybaby." Clay looked at George and it didn't take George long to realize that he should probably start running before Clay could do anything. George turned around and sprinted away, running down the hill towards the beach.

Clay was following close behind, determined to catch George. "C'MERE!" He screamed at George. George wanted to look back to see how far behind Clay actually was but when he turned around he misplaced his foot and landed face first in the sand. Clay's signature tea kettle wheeze could be heard from behind George. "I'm lightheaded, I just laughed SO HARD!" Clay sputtered out between his laughter. George was laughing along with him and they couldn't stop for another 15 minutes.

*Flashback ends*

George pulled his headphones out of his ears when the song Best Song Ever by One Direction began playing. He skipped the song and then his thoughts wandered back to his old friend. Because even though the last time the two of them had spoken was around six years ago, George still thought about Clay every day. The thoughts begin happy but they all lead up to the day Clay left Rye, the town they had grown up in together, the town that will forever be their home.

*Flashback*

George and Clay looked at each other, both of their eyes filled with tears. "I guess this is it." George said, his voice breaking and his eyes forming even more tears. 

"Don't say that, Georgie. We can still call every day, We'll find a way to make this work." 

"Why do you have to move so far away? You're going to America!" George was angry, sad and couldn't believe that he was losing his best friend to this. 

"Look, my dad got offered an amazing job, I have to go." Clay's voice was raspy. The boys stood in silence before Clay pulled George in for one last big hug. George tried to hold some tears back but knowing that this was probably their last hug ever caused him to break down on Clay's shoulder. "I love you, I hope you will always remember that." Clay whispered in George's ear. 

"I love you too, so much." They pulled apart and Clay walked to his car. His parents in their car in the front and Clay behind them in the car the two of them had made so many memories in. Clay sat down and before he closed the door he looked at George 

"I'll see you when I'm home for the summer." With that, he closed the door and drove away. 

*Flashback ends*

"I'll see you when I'm home for the summer." The words Clay had spoken to George so many years ago still lingered in George's head. "Well, that didn't happen now, did it?" George said to himself, he was angry. Clay never came back. The last time they had spoken was around six years ago. When Clay left, they texted every day for around a year, until Clay stopped responding to texts. Even though George was angry at Clay, he also really misses him. They used to be inseparable and then Clay just left George, no explanation, no apology, no nothing. George never understood why and even wondered if it was his own fault sometimes. Couldn't be, right?

- Hi! I have lots of ideas for this and I really like how this first chapter turned out. Feedback is ALWAYS welcome and please correct me if you notice any mistakes :)

1194 words :)