The first strand

My mum and dad have been married for so many years, and all I have ever known is them being together. I won't go into great detail of all the ins and outs, but one day my dad walked out. This was such a traumatic time for me, and without the support of  then fiancé, I don't think I would have dealt with what would happen in the next few days as well as I did.

At this time, I had dyed and bleached my hair quite a lot. I remember being stood in the bathroom brushing my hair, when huge clumps started collecting on my brush and in the sink. I remember running down stairs with them in my hand and showing my family. To be honest, my first thought was that I'd caused it through dying and bleaching my hair so much. So rather than walking around with clumps of hair missing, that I couldn't cover, me and my mum decided to shave the rest off. I thought it would just grow back.

After shaving my head, I had this weird sense of happiness and liberation. As a young woman in today's society, I feel that hair is a huge component of what makes you physically "beautiful", so shaving my head felt like a massive fuck you to the world.

That same night, me and my fiancé went to the pub, the amount of questions I got just because I had a shaved head was unbelievable!