Mother?

where do we start, My name is Audrey Crimson, it was my mothers idea it means nobility and strength. I've always wondered what she was like, she left my father and I a while ago when I was but three years old, she left me with a poisonous vulture of a father. As I sit on the ground with my back against an old tree and a small brown leather notebook within my lap, I could not help but wonder why my mother would leave us, it brought so much shame upon our household and my father, we lost everything and yet I cannot complain in comparison I believe I have a good life.

I stand up and brush my long pink frock before walking slowly towards the overgrown building I do not wish but must call home. I pull the handle down and open the door where I am greeted with an overwhelming smell of ethanol and a cluttered room "Audrey! where have you been" my intoxicated father yelled, it always scared me when he was like this "my apology's father I was-" "was what, being useless! the house is a tip, a lord is paying me to marry you and why would he do that if you can't even clean a house" he interrupted angrily "I do not wish to marry anyone nor clean a house for the rest of my life" I quickly answered but after I immediately regretted it. A large hand made its way across my face bring me to the ground but before I could react or raise myself his foot harshly plunged itself into my stomach as I rolled over and groaned whilst clutching my stomach "clean this house!" he bellowed before walking away as if nothing happened.

it was now approximately three in the morning and I was still cleaning up for my father when a came across a small pink shoebox, I have never seen such a thing before so it must have been placed there recently. in the centre of the lid was the name rose; this was my mothers name so it must have been hers. I open it to find a picture which had my father, my mother and i in, she looked just like me, we shared the same bright blonde hair and blue eyes along with fair skin. I looked again inside the box and noticed a small card with a drawn stretlitzia, a flower which represents freedom, and a small note which I assumed was her handwriting:

'my darling daughter, do not be afraid to give up the good for the great'

as far as I was concerned my mother didn't leave anything and just left, so why was I finding this now and what does this mean? does she want me to leave? is this the sign I have been craving all my life? is she giving me an option to leave as she did? all these questions ran through my head as I contemplated what it meant. perhaps I should run as she did all those years ago, it wouldn't be a bad thing, most likely better than the torment I was calling a life and the future husband I did not wish to have. if I were to run it best be tonight whilst my father was unconscious for if I were to be caught I'm unsure if I would survive.

After an hour of contemplating my options I decided to leave as my mother once did, I grabbed the small note and placed it within my corset, I snuck beside my sleeping father and took as much money as I could find from his wallet, call it a gift of apology for the suffering he's caused me throughout these years. I walk outside and grabbed my bike before heading in the direction of the nearest train station.

goodbye old life!

Authors notes:

sorry there wasn't any Tewksbury in this chapter it was more of a background information kind of thing, he will be in the next one.