20

Jisung caught a ride to the game with Renjun and Donghyuck that Friday. They had no reason to be there super early, so they filled into the student section five minutes before it started, where Jaemin had saved spots for them. Right on the front row. God bless Na Jaemin.

Immediately after they found their spots, Jisung's gaze scoured the other team. North High. South High's rival. in his search, his eyes skimmed across Lee Jeno's figure. Jeno caught his gaze and waved. Jisung briefly returned the gesture before continuing his search.

He recognized one particular mop of black hair standing on the other side of the court. "Chenle!" Jisung exclaimed just loud enough to carry over.

Said mop of black hair turned around to reveal the face of North High's team captain, and Jisung's best friend. Zhong Chenle.

"Jisungie!" The chinese boy screeched, much louder than the former.

Jeno was quick to look over when Jisung's name was screamed, and his nickname, no less. He watched the North Captain sprint up to the bleachers and glomp onto Park Jisung, who hugged back with just as much enthusiasm.

Suddenly, Jeno felt weird. Something settled in his stomach, and left a foul taste in his mouth.

Maybe he'd been a little too hopeful to think that Jisung came to watch him play.

Of course Jisung was coming for his other friend. It made so much sense now, why exactly Jisung had agreed so quickly.

Jeno felt the smallest bit like a fool.

Now was not the time to think about feelings. He turned as much of this foreign feeling as he could into adrenaline and useful drive for the game he was getting in position for. Two rival schools were playing against each other. There was tension thickly built, and there wasn't even a formal competition tied to the match. The rivalry itself was enough.

The teams took their places on the court, and the game began.

Jeno was really into this match. More than usual. And yet, somehow, he'd find his eyes flicking back to where Jisung sat every time he scored or assisted a point for their team. Normally, he wouldn't dare look at even a stranger in the crowd.

What was he looking for? A reaction? An expression? Praise? He scolded himself during halftime. The scores were tied. There was no room for him to get distracted. When the second half began, he disciplined himself enough to focus on the match and nothing else.

Things were going well.

Then, the game started slipping from his hands. North High's score was on a constant increase, while South High lagged behind on racking up points.

Jeno refused to accept the inevitable until the final buzzer signaled the end of the game.

South High had lost. Badly.

Still, Jeno encouraged good sportsmanship among his team and congratulated North High on their outstanding performance. After, both teams broke to see people from the crowd or retrieve water from the waterboy.

Lee Jeno dejectedly watched as Chenle bounced back up to the bleachers. Jisung hopped onto the floor and wrapped his arms tightly around his friend with the biggest smile Jeno had ever seen on his face.

Who was he? Who was the boy who made Jisung smile like that? Yes he was Zhong Chenle. But who was he to Jisung?

Mark and Yukhei both ran up to the bleachers with smiles, despite the hard loss they'd just taken, and hugged the boys that were watching.

"Ew, you're sweaty!" Donghyuck's giggle when Yukhei held him was heard clearly through the bustle of the gym.

Jeno decidedly turned away and marched over to Jaemin for some water.