21

[For the time being, I think I'll upload this story on both Wednesday and Saturday. Enjoy!

Tessa's dress above]

Lydia carried three Macy's bags as she entered Allison's house. Since she made Tessa go shopping with her, she was willing to carry the bags. If there was one thing Tessa despised more than idiotic people, it was long, boring shopping trips. Unfortunately, she was friends with Lydia, which meant countless shopping trips.

"Clear your schedules," Lydia said. "This could take awhile."

She placed the bags on Allison's bed and Allison asked, "How many outfits do you plan on wearing tonight?"

Lydia met her eyes and shrugged. "It's my birthday party. I'm thinking host dress." She held up a grey-striped dress. "Evening dress, then, mm, after hours casual."

Tessa bounced her leg impatiently. She was awaiting news on her father's status and her stepmother wasn't answering.

Allison said, "I noticed you didn't send out any invites."

Lydia shot Allison a look. "It's the biggest party of the year, Allison. Everyone knows."

Allison was silent for a moment. "I was wondering if maybe this year, you know, might be different."

"Why would anything be different?"

"Just 'cause things have been off lately. Things and people. Like Jackson."

Lydia's voice took on an icy tone. "What do you care about Jackson?"

Tessa glanced at Allison before she said, "She's just wondering if he's coming. He was a significant part of your life, after all."

Lydia frowned. "Everyone's coming." She held a beige dress to her body. "This one's America rag. Mm, I love it. For me, not you. Tessa, the is yours." She handed Tessa the gray dress she'd picked. "This one's material girl. It's for you." She offered Allison a floral print dress. She turned to see Allison's mom. "Ms. Argent. What do you think of this one?"

Mrs. Argent nodded half-heartedly. "Oh, it's lovely. Allison, uh, can I grab you for a moment to talk? Just the two of us."

Allison didn't look up. "Um, can we do it later?"

"Actually, uh, to be honest, sooner would be -- would be better."

Tessa frowned, realizing Mrs. Argent wanted to say goodbye to her daughter.

"Party's at 10:00," Lydia said.

Mrs. Argent licked her lips. "Um, will you be around before then?"

Allison let out a sigh. "I think so."

"You think so."

"I don't know."

Tessa shot Allison a look. "I get that you're mad at your mom, but you really should talk to her."

Allison turned to Tessa and narrowed her eyes. "You don't have much of a mom. So who are you to tell me to talk to mine?"

"Well, you're not gonna have any mother, soon."

Allison's eyes narrowed further. "Don't put your mommy issues on me!"

"Mommy issues?! Gods, it's times like this when I was like Percy or Nico. Happy birthday, Lydia." She stalked out of the room and slammed the door behind her.

"Thank you, Tessa," Lydia said.

After a moment, Lydia let out a sigh and said, "Drama aside, let's get back to the dresses." She pulled out another one. "Oh, I guess that black one would fit. All right, here you go." She handed the dress to Allison and cocked her head. "No, it's too much."