33

A knock on Tessa's bedroom door caught her attention. Scott appeared and asked, "Lydia and Allison are at school. Apparently there's a body. You wanna come?"

Tessa nodded. "Sure. It's kind of disturbing how normal that sounds."

"It really is."

Stiles drove them to the school and while sitting in the back, Tessa said, "The school every freaking time. Why the school?"

Stiles shrugged. "That's a good point, Tess. I have no clue."

They reached the school and she asked, "Where is she?"

Allison walked over to Lydia at the front of the building and said, "Over here."

"Lydia?" Tessa called. "Lydia!"

Lydia appeared and said, "It's the same thing. Same thing as the pool. I got into the car heading somewhere totally different, and ended up here. And you told me to call you if there's a dead body."

"You found a dead body?" Stiles asked.

Lydia shook her head. "Not yet."

""Not yet?" What do you mean "not yet"? Lydia, you're supposed to call after you find the dead body."

She glared at him. "Oh, not, I'm not doing that again. You find the dead body from now on."

"How are we supposed to find the dead body? You're always the one finding the dead body."

"Guys," Scott said loudly. "I found the dead body."

Tessa made her way over to him and noticed a deputy covered in blood lying on the Beacon Hills High School sign.

In Ms. Blake's class the next morning, she talked to them about different writing tools. "Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes. All tools the writer uses to tell their story. Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents."

Tessa snuck a glance at Lydia to see that she was drawing a tree; the same tree that she'd drawn when Stiles tried to get her to use automatic writing while they were looking for Deaton.

Lydia met Ms. Blake's eyes. "You and every guy I've dated."

Ms. Blake took a nervous step back. "Oh, um, well, that was an idiom, by the way. Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture. They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying "jump the gun" is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race, or a phrase like "seeing the whole board.""

"Like chess," Stiles said.

Ms. Blake turned to him and nodded. "That's right, Stiles. Do you play?"

Stiles shook his head. "Uh, no. My father does."

"Now, when does an idiom become a cliché?"

The class remained silent. Scott turned to Tessa and Stiles. "I think I can get to Ethan. I'm pretty sure I can make him talk."

Stiles gave him a frown. "What do you want to do that for?"

"The druids are emissaries, right? So what if the Darach was an emissary to the alphas?"

Stiles sighed. "Okay, first of all, I cannot believe that we've gotten to the point where a sentence like "what if the Darach was an emissary to the alphas" actually makes sense to me. Second of all, we're going to have a huge problem getting to Ethan."

Tessa glanced at her cousin. "Just so you know, Scott, the Darach isn't the emissary to the Alphas."

"What's that?" Scott asked, still looking at Stiles.