Nightmares

ASHTON : He twisted the keys to the apartment around his fingers like a ring, catching the bunches of cool metal in his wide hand every time they swung around. Ashton felt bad about working so late, but they’d been on a roll at the studio and wanted to get as much together as they could.

Ashton knew when he went back in the morning half of the stuff they’d recorded would be crap, but it was the effort the boys had put in that counted. If it took a hundred drafts to create one good song, Ashton thought, he’d just have to deal with it.

The door swung open as Ashton jingled the lock, breathing the fresh scent of laundry detergent and the vanilla candle on the stove filling his nose. There was no sound in the apartment except the gentle whirl of the ceiling fan above him in the hall.

As Ashton passed the den, he saw the light coming from the TV streaming into the hallway. He wondered if you’d fallen asleep watching some reality show he despised, but the couch was empty save for a plaid blanket bunched in one corner.

He hummed, low in his throat as he entered the bedroom, seeing a mass of blankets curled around you as you slept. Ashton couldn’t help but let out a chuckle as he saw your face, scrunched together like you did when he cracked a dirty joke or let his hands slip a little too low. Careful not to wake you, Ashton peeled his jeans and shirt off and traded them for a loose fitting pair of boxers before softly crawling into the bed beside you.

“Can I have some of these?” Ashton whispered, mostly to himself, as he tried to pry some of the duvet back from your grasp. It was bundled tightly in your fist, and your mouth parted slightly as you shook your head.

“No, no, no.” You whimpered, wriggling from something Ashton couldn’t see. He was about to wake you in order to make you share, but recognized what we going on as soon as you continued speaking in your sleep.

“Please, please. Don’t! Ash! Help, no, no…” Your body rolled over to face him and Ashton felt his heart sink. Nightmares were the worst - he knew that firsthand as a frequent recipient. So, Ashton employed the same method you used when he would whine in his sleep from the dreams trying to get him.

He leaned over and pressed a kiss to your forehead, gently shaking your shoulder as he did so. So as not scare you, he pulled away as he watched your eyes flutter open like the wings of a bird.

He jolted slightly as you shot up in bed, sitting forwards and covering your eyes with your hands. It had been brutal, things happening as you seemingly couldn’t find your way through the darkness.

Ashton reached and rubbed your back soothingly as you tried not to burst into tears from the nightmare. “It’s okay.” He whispered, gently pulling you back down to wrap you up in his arms. He felt you shaking slightly as he let you catch your words in your mouth. “You’re okay, you’re with me. I won’t let anything happen.”

"I watched a movie before bed and it was really scary so I turned it off, and then I was having the worst nightmare." You managed, sniffing back the tears. "I was so scared, and I don’t even remember what was happening."

"It’s alright." He hummed, and you felt your chest relax slightly as the vibrations resonated through you. "I’ve got you."

"I’m sorry," You whispered. You wiped your face with your hands as Ashton held you in his grip. "For you to come to me scaring myself."

"Don’t ever be sorry for nightmares, baby. They’re only dreams and they’re not true." He breathed as he reached down to your hips and pulled you over to lay on top of him, your head resting on his chest as his heart beat steadily. "And I’m just glad you’re alright. Now, try and go back to sleep."