Chapter 4

3rd POV

Everyone waited for Max's reaction but all they got was silence.

"Max? Are you alright?" David asked.

Max stepped back a little, tried to say something, but then burst out of the door.

"MAX, WAIT!" David cried out.

"Whoa, what just happened?" Nurf asked.

"Was Max just... crying?" Neil asked.

"Hmm, could've been sweat." Nikki responded, "But I don't think sweat comes from your eyes."

"But Max never cries!" Nerris said.

"Perhaps he was putting on an ACT!" Preston suggested, "Bravo Max!" he said and started clapping.

Space Kid then tugged on Gwen's shorts a bit, "Gwen, why was Max crying?" he asked.

"Oh uh, Max is just going through something I'm sure he's fine." Gwen lied.

"He sure didn't seem fine." Ered said with her arms crossed and whipped her bangs out of her eyes.

"We haf to go look for him!" Dolph said.

"Everyone please calm down, everything's gonna be alright." Gwen assured with a fake smile, "Right David!" she said through her smile.

David shook his head to wake up, "RIGHT!" he said, "You all stay here with Gwen while I go look for Max."

"WHAT!" Gwen yelled, "YOU'RE GONNA LEAVE ME WITH THESE LITTLE SHI-"

"Thanks Gwen!" David said with a smile, already leaving.

Gwen pinched the bridge of her nose and groaned, "Well I guess we're stuck here until David gets back." she said.

"Don't worry Gwen!" Harrison said and held out his top hat, "I'll bring Max back so David doesn't have to look for him! ABRACADABRA!"

The platypus then hopped out of Harrison's hat and everyone just stared at it.

Harrison just scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment, "Or we could just wait for David to come back."

~

David looked around the whole camp but couldn't find Max any where.

He looked towards the woods and sighed, "Oh Max."

He wandered through the woods calling out Max's name.

He then spotted some black floofy hair on the ground next to a tree.

"MAX!" he cried out.

He rushed over to him, knelt down on his knees, and picked his head up, "MAX! MAX! Can you hear me?! Are you ok?!" he shouted.

Max's eyes started to flutter and fully opened. He rubbed his eyes and noticed David, "David? Why the fuck are you here?!" he asked.

"Oh Max!!!" David said, feeling like he was about to cry of joy.

"Get off of me!" Max shouted and pushed David away, "Why couldn't you just leave me alone out here?!"

"Be- because I was worried about you Max!" David said, "You ran off without any warning and... Max did I do something wrong?"

"No, I mean YES, you do A LOT of fucked up things, but no it wasn't your fault this time." Max said.

"Then why did you run away?" David asked.

"It's none of your fucking business David!" Max shot back.

"Is it because you don't know what a birthday party is?"

Max bit his lip, not wanting to give the answer.

"It's ok Max!" David said, "I know your parents don't care about you a lot, but that's why we're doing this! Would you prefer if we do it on your real birthday instead? If it's during camp we can totally do it!"

Max tried to hold it in but he couldn't, tears started falling down his face, "I- I don't know when-"

"What was that Max?"

"I DON'T KNOW WHEN MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY IS!" Max shouted.

"Max, I-"

Max tried to wipe away his tears but they just kept on coming, "It's not your fault you dumb ass. My parents used to say happy birthday to me, but then they stopped, and soon I just forgot what day that was. All I know is that by the end of the fucking year, I've turned a year older and that's that."

Max hugged his knees and started to sob.

"Who gives a shit about birthdays any way?! They're just another day that counts down to your death." Max said in between sobs.

"Well cause it reminds us that we're still alive and the people who celebrate make you feel special because of it." David explained.

"My parents wouldn't give a shit if I was alive OR dead." Max whispered under his breath.

David placed his hand on Max's shoulder, "Max, I know that your parents don't care about you and don't make you feel special at all..."

"You better be fucking going somewhere with this, cause this is the shittiest pep talk I've ever heard." Max said with his face still buried in his knees.

David smiled and chuckled a bit, "But unlike them, I DO care Max! You're very special to me and that's why I wanted to do this for you!"

Max looked up and saw David's smiling face. He thought about it and then scooted closer to him.

David's eyes gleamed with excitement and comforted Max with a big hug. Max was about to tell him to back off, but instead he grabbed his shirt and started to sniff a bit.

The sniffs then turned into tears and suddenly Max was crying all over again, letting it all out.

This was a bit unexpected for David, remembering that the last time Max hugged him was only for a brief second.

With Max continuing to cry, David started stroking his hair and smiled, "There, there, Max. It's gonna be ok. We're all here for you."