Popute

The fine lead of the mechanical pencil is gently dragged down the notebook paper in a curve. She colors in the eyes with small circle motions and the hair with a quick scribble. Eraser shavings are swiped away as the drawing is inspected and she brings the eraser at the end of the pencil to her mouth to chew on while she contemplates her next line. A thought occurs to her and she giggles to herself quietly as she quickly grabs her ruler to make another panel. As she doodles the characters and the speech bubble, she fails to notice the teacher dismissing the class and the students chatter as they begin to file out of the room.

"That's us." A voice states from behind her.

Popuko's head snaps up and she quickly turns at the familiar voice. Sure enough, behind her Pipimi stands looking over her shoulder at her drawings with a small smile on her face.

Popuko hastily grabs the notebook and holds it against her chest feeling a little embarrassed about Pipimi seeing her silly little doodles of her.

"A-ah, yeah," she laughs with a faint blush on her cheeks. "I mean it's supposed to be us, yeah. Ha ha, I know it looks a little silly and dumb..." She really hoped Pipimi didn't find the cartoony caricature of herself to be unflattering or insulting.

"No, no," Pipimi says reassuringly. "I think it's really cute and funny."

"You really think so?" Popuko asks lighting up.

"Absolutely. I didn't know you were such an artist, Popu-chan."

"Oh, stop~ " Popuko beams as Pipimi pets her head.

"You should really show me more of your drawings sometime." Pipimi draws her hand away and Popuko already desperately misses the contact.

Popuko stares at her friend as she walks back to her own desk to put her books away. She watches as her long black hair cascades over her shoulder as she leans forward. It looks so silky and Popuko wants to run her fingers through it so badly. Her dark blue eyes flit up to meet Popuko's and Pipimi sweetly smiles at her. Popuko swallows thickly and tries to smile back as her heart hammers in her chest.

"Well," Pipimi says with a content sigh as she stands up to her full height looking like a tall and gorgeous model as her hair sways as she walks to the door.

God, her ridiculous caricature of Pipimi did not do her justice in the slightest, Popuko thinks as she watches her.

Pipimi turns on her heel at the door, her hair flipping behind her as she looks at Popuko expectantly. "Wanna go to the park?" Pipimi asks.

"Don't we still have history class?"

Pipimi smirks and leans against the doorframe. "Who gives a shit about history class? I'm tired of hearin' about crusty old fucks who've been dead for hundreds of years, aren't you?"

Popuko smiles and wonders how a girl this perfect could exist.

"Fuck history class." Popuko agrees as she gets up and leaves the room prepared to follow Pipimi anywhere.

~

"—and then, this bitch has the audacity to say that the anime was better than the manga. Even though she also fuckin' said she only read the first volume! Tch! The fuckin' nerve—can I get a light?" Popuko stops mid rant as she pulls another cigarette out.

Pipimi hums in response as she blows out a puff of smoke and leans over with her lighter. They sit underneath the park's jungle gym because it's a lot warmer, plus, having learned from experience, it's a blind spot from the street so cops can't see them as they patrol by.