Chapter 1

Have you ever felt like you want to maintain a best-buddy relationship system with someone you're interested only to find that you're helplessly in love with them? Well, it happened to me.

There's this person. Magician to be exact. Me and him met over an online app. I was kind of lonely. Didn't have too many guy friends to hung out with except for Sonoko and Ran. I mean, you could say that they're good friends but sometimes you need a guy in your life too.

Just as I was scrolling through a bunch of useless posts, I stopped at his post. His name is Kuroba Kaito. He's an amateur magician and a normal high school student just like me. He was hosting a magic show. I got interested and being the detective I am, I definitely have to go check out how he did his tricks so I can enjoy the fun of exposing them to the public.

I still remember the first time seeing him wearing all white. The color of purity and elegance. Doves were flying out of his sleeves from all over the place. The sun hit his hair and his facial features at just the right angle, making him appearing almost holy-like.

I watched in fascination as he did more and more tricks. His long and agile fingers danced in the air joyously as his audiences clapped for his wonderful act. At the end, he took a bow, signalizing the end of his performance. Then that's when he noticed me.

"Ah, welcome. I noticed you're one of my audiences that was watching the show, were you not? Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kuroba Kaito, amateur magician and high school student. Nice to meet you!"

He took a bow as a blue rose appeared out of nowhere. I was taken aback. I received the rose with polite gesture. "My name is Kudo Shinichi. I'm a high school detective. N-nice to meet you too."

The magician gave a light chuckle. "Kudo Shinichi huh? The famous Great Detective of the East and Heisei Holmes?" He asked with an amused tone of voice.

I only gave a nod. While I indeed was famous for my abilities as a detective, however I never realized my name is so well known like this. Now, I stood there feeling speechless and in shock as well. He only proceeded on with his humming and continued to clean up as if it's nobody's business. "You may be wondering how I know. Well, you should know how famous you are!" He winked at him. Which earning a blush from me.

He only chuckled more. He stood up and turned toward me.

"I would be more than honored to have such a Meitantei for coming to visit my humble home and perhaps have some dinner. What do you say?"

I know this is strange to accept invitation to someone's house especially you just met them. But I still accepted. Besides, from where he is, the train back to my place takes an hour and it's getting late. May as well stay over for dinner before going back home. So I agreed.

He gave a happy grin. And I never realized that I was grinning back as well. I may or may not just gained a friend. You can never hope for too much. Sometimes the thing that failed you the most is getting your hopes up too high before being crushed by people. It's happened too many times.

On the way back, he asked a lot questions about me. Being the quiet person I am, I only answered them. But I was surprised at how similar we are.

"So, Shin-chan..... Wait, are you okay with me calling you Shin-chan?"

"Sure. That's what my mom likes to call me anyway. I'm used to it."

He smiled. His smile is kinda nice. He smiles a lot.

"Yeah. My mom call me Kai-chan. But sometimes you just prefer the Kai without the last part."

He made me laugh at that.