Chapter 2

I woke up the next day feeling relaxed. This has been the first time since forever to have a restful night. I wonder if it's because of thinking about Kaito? Wait-, no, he's a friend and nothing more.

Just then, I heard a ping. I turned and took out my phone to see Kaito's message.

Good morning Shin-chan! Hope you've slept well! I was thinking about going on a double date with you and your girlfriend. What do you think?

A double date? Sounds good.

Sure. What time though?

How about after school?

Will do! Text me when you're free?

You bet! Alright, I've got to go. Bye Shin-chan!

Bye. Have a good day Kaito!

I got out of bed with a happy smile.

Suddenly, I heard a very familiar voice outside.

"Shinichi? Time to get up! I'm coming in!"

That was my girlfriend Mouri Ran. Her and I are childhood friends and we grew up together. Her and I have been dating since last year. At first everything was fine until all of a sudden, I felt like I've lost feelings for her. I've thought about breaking up with her but looks like it'll have to wait another time since today will be a double date.

"Sure! Come in!" I called out from upstairs. The door was opened and after a few thuds of footsteps, she appeared in front of me.

"You're...... Up early Shin." She observed.

"Well, I've slept well. First time that I've slept through the night since ages."

"I think it's time that you rest properly through the night you detective otaku." She scolded. I only gave her a face of apology in return.

"It can't be helped. Megure keibu and all of the police force depends on me. It's only a way of survival and it's my main income supply."

She sighed and rolled her eyes. But I can see a hint of sadness in her violet orbs. "I understand that to be honest. I just worry that our relationship wasn't as close as it used to be like when we were kids."

I wanted to break it to her right now that I wanted to be separated when I realised that this would not be a good idea since I have a double date with Kaito. I sighed. Well, guess I'll have to do it later.

"You know, someone asked me out on a double date with his girlfriend." I begin. Immediately Ran's eyes lit up.

"Really? Who is it?"

So I explained how me and Kaito met and how he invited me over for dinner while in the same time trying to cook. Ran helped too as she listened intensely, nodding occasionally to what I had to say. At last she spoke.

"Well, this Kuroba Kaito sounded very interesting. I'd love to meet him!"

I smiled at that.

"He's more than interesting if you get to know him personally. You have no idea how much I felt understood in all those years!"

I noticed a change of emotion on Ran's end, so I quickly added. "As a guy's friend of course!"

I can tell she knows I'm lying knowing how long she's known me. But somehow she overlooked it. I was a bit surprised myself.

"Oh it's fine! I understand. I'm excited to meet him too! When is the date?"

I told her it's after school. She nodded and was lost in thought. The whole entire morning was awkward with neither of us saying anything. When we got to school, the awkwardness got more intense when another one of my childhood friend Sonoko decided to rub off on it more.