the boy next door • kim seungmin

warnings: explicit language

word count: 1306

genre: fluff

(a/n: a little side note that i love you hehe and thank you so much for 58k reads !! i really appreciate it 🥺)

~

You heard a light knocking on your window and sighed while opening it to face a Seungmin. He had his hair all fluffed up since it just dried after a shower and also wearing a simple hoodie. The boy smiled at you with a huge grin, "Come on, let's go down to the pancake shop, it's just a 3 minute walk from here, pretty please?"

He begged, slowly showing his puppy eyes and palms pressed together. "Seungmin, I told you my parents are going to kill me if they find out I'm sneaking out with you again," you sighed again and massaged the inner corner of your eyes. "Well, they won't kill you if they don't find out..."

"But they will if they do!"

Seungmin pouted and rested his head against the window frame. He looked around your room to see your homework messily scattered around the table and your clothes piled up on the bed and unfolded. "How about we clean your room first, this place is like a rubbish chute."

You rolled your eyes at him, "You're not my Mum, Seungmin. I will clean these later."

"Mum or not, let's just get these cleaned up," he didn't wait for your answer before climbing into your room and landing on another pile of your clothes. Seungmin admits himself, he is a whole clean freak, probably worse than your Mum.

He picked up half the pile on the floor and signalled you to do the same. "Your parents are both asleep, right?" He double confirmed, one hand already on your door knob to get to the laundry area.

"Yea, and don't worry about Jisung snitching, he is probably busy binging horror movies at this hour."

"Your brother is one weird dude indeed. I watch one horror move in the day and get nightmares for the next 3 nights, minimum."

Chuckling, you nodded after Seungmin opened your door and walked to the laundry area and stuffed your clothes in the washing machine, with you following suit. "The more you watch, the more you like it, he says."

"Oh well," he sighed and headed back up to your room. Seungmin picked up the stack of books and worksheets, arranging them neatly such that you have actual proper space on your desk to work on. "You know, Min. Maybe I do need a short getaway," you breathed out, plopping down onto your bed.

"Sure, to where? The pancake shop? Or do you have anywhere in mind?"

"Anywhere not too far sounds fine, I just wanna let some stuff off my mind, even if it's for a little while."

"Pancake shop it is~" Seungmin hummed, taking his time to arrange your stationaries and even sticking your sticky (not so sticky anymore) notes back up on your wall. You couldn't help but giggle at his huge craving for pancakes, "Have you been craving for that long?"

"No shit sherlock, you only ever dare to go to the boba store opposite our house, I'm literally getting sick of drinking the same fucking thing almost every night."

"Then don't ask me to go with you, or just go with someone else," you hissed back and huffed. "Nah, I only wanna go with you, Chan is always busy with his stuff and Minho sleeps at like 9pm."

You immediately sat back up on your bed and glared at the boy. "So you decide to disturb me?"

Seungmin coughed and eyed the cleaning-up he's doing for you, aggressively stacking the books in one corner. "You're really a big meanie," you breathed out softly and crossed your arms. "I heard that~"

"Shut up, Kim Seungmin."

~

You stared out the window of the shop at the few cars occasionally driving pass. Seungmin was devouring the plate of pancakes, enjoying the fluffy texture of it. At first, you wanted to ask him why he did not want to make the pancakes himself if he was craving them so badly, then you remembered the cooking session that happened with Felix.

That day was fucking hilarious though, minus the annoying whisking noises. With Hyunjin trying to help with whisking but failed, Felix almost slamming Seungmin's face with the pan, and them adding a whole block of butter on each pancake because they forgot to oil the pan. In the end, everyone else woke Changbin up to clean the mess even though he was busy sleeping the whole time. However, you did question how he slept through the loud chaos.

Letting out a soft laugh, Seungmin glanced at you for a moment and asked, "What's so funny?"

"No, I'm just remembering that day when you and Felix tried making pancakes." You managed to say in between giggles.

"Let's not talk about it," he joked and brought out a bite of pancake towards your mouth. "You should eat this, though, they're so good."

"Of course, it's not made by Felix or you."

"Okay, I take it back, no pancakes for you," Seungmin scoffed and brought the fork back, about to put it into his mouth to eat before you grabbed his wrist and stuffed the whole quarter-sized pancake into your mouth. "That's $1, thank you."

"Shut your mouth before I spit this at you."

"Yea, very scary. Now tell me, what has been on your mind these days," he asked, taking another bite of the pancakes. You shook your head and faced out the window again, enjoying the view of nothing.

"School stuff?"

"Yea, I guess."

"Tell me about it."

Looking back towards him, you sighed softly. "Just been real stressful lately, nothing new. I don't think I'll be able to get into a college. I don't even know what I'm doing, just staring at the textbooks and doing homework mindlessly. Everyone else around me has something they want to do, even you have your own dream already while I'm still stuck here."

"The world is somehow like a competition, I swear. Y/N, you should really live your life at your own pace, your dream will come by one day. Maybe we can explore that together or you could do more researches about any potential dreams. Your life is yours, and no one should be letting you feel like you failed at it," Seungmin replied seemingly effortlessly, still munching on his pancakes.

He's right though, you have always been constantly letting yourself down not because of what you achieved but because of seeing what others are achieving in life. This is your life to live, why should you see it as a competition?

"Did my big brain words get to you? Here, just have a pancake first," he joked, bringing another bite of pancake to your mouth. You gladly ate it and nodded, "Actually, that was a really good advice you gave there. Many of us live in a world so competitive we don't even see our own potential in other fields just to be in the so-called better category."

"Exactly, just because you aren't becoming a doctor or a lawyer doesn't make you useless in this shitty society. Afterall, we simply live in the hands of capitalism. We work for the Government until we are too old, then die."

You agreed and chuckled, "Sometimes I just want to stay in bed and cripple to death but I have to be a functioning member of society. It wasn't even my choice, I just so happen to be brought into this world."

Seungmin laughed loudly in the empty store, causing the store owner to send a death glare at the two of you. Can't blame her though, it's like 2am and there is just the two of you wheezing like a dolphin in one corner.

"Next time you need a night getaway though, I'm just next door so hit me up."

"Will do, Min. Thank you so much."