Ch. 6

CHAPTER SIX

31 June 2004

Mr H. Evans
Largest Room on Third Floor
Speight Manor
Unknown

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Wugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr Evans,
We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed the list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

"I will not attend," Harry signed to Gabriella who sipped a pink cocktail across the table.

Gabriella smirked. "And miss out on the chance of playing with their heads?"

Harry shrugged. "It would be fun to watch them chase their tails but it will only be entertaining for so long."

"What would you do instead?" Gabriella asked.

"Work with you, learn more things, travel the world."

Gabriella threw her head back and let out a loud laugh. "I have been such a bad influence on you! Alas my dear Harrikins it is your duty to enter those castle halls and spin the old goat in circles. Also the Tim Riddle thing," she added as an after thought.

"T-O-M!" Harry signed in exasperation.

Gabriella waved her hand in a 'what can you do?' sort of way. "You knew who I was talking about, it's fine. But back to the topic at hand, think about it Harry. You were allowed a do over for a reason, are you really not going to take the chance to do over the time in your life that could've been your greatest?"

Harry gave the angel a hard stare. "You just want to mess with the goat."

Gabriella gave a mock offended gasp. "Well that's just not true! I care very much about your happiness and your do over! It just so happens that we can play a hilarious prank at the same time."

Harry rolled his eyes. "No, I do not need to go. Make me some parchment, please."

Of course, over the years Harry had become quite proficient with wand-less Magic and could quite easily transfigure an object into parchment but Gabriella was an archangel and could click it into existence just as well. Creating something from nothing and transfiguration were two wildly different skill sets and Harry needed something more permanent in nature.

Gabriella pouted but did as asked and handed the parchment to the wizard. She also handed a pen which was quite considerate of the angel, at least more than usual.

Dear Deputy Headmistress McGonagall,

While I am deeply honoured to have been selected for a place within the walls of Hogwarts, I, unfortunately, have to decline your invitation.

You see, through extensive private tutoring, I have graduated with distinction on my NEWTS. You will find records of this at the Ministry of Magic.

Should you need any further correspondence, please contact my legal guardian.

Best,
H.D. Evans

He folded the letter neatly and watched as Gabriella clicked her fingers to seal the envelope with the Speight house crest.

Deciding that it wouldn't be needed for more than a single delivery Harry transfigured the cup on the table into a simple barn owl that hooted at him in what Harry could only describe as surprise. He handed the now sealed response to the owl and watched as it silently took off with the letter.