Chapter Ten

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
OFFICIAL MINISTRY BUSINESS
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

.•° ✿ °•.
Content warning: blood.
°•. ✿ .•°

"DO YOU NEED to eat?" Marina asked, looking around at Riddle who sat straight-backed at her desk, pouring over his book.

He looked up frowning. "I don't think so. At least, I haven't been hungry yet."

"I can't even imagine you eating," said Marina, looking back down at her feet as she stretched over her dead straight legs.

"Why not?" Riddle asked, closing the book and turning to face her. Marina couldn't see his face from her position but she could hear the incredulity in his voice.

"You're too... uptight."

"That's a ridiculous thing to say," Riddle scoffed.

"Eating is so human. I can't even picture you doing it."

"I'm on the brink of being offended," he said dryly, watching her twist to her right side and bend further over her leg.

"Only the brink? I've got to try harder..." she said, looking back through between her knees at her bed behind her.

"What do you eat, then? I don't see a kitchen," Riddle said a little accusingly.

"I go to the Three Broomsticks for just about every meal. Sometimes Dumbledore gets house-elves to bring me stuff from Hogwarts but I asked him to stop."

"Why?" Riddle asked brusquely.

"Because house-elves are like... actual slaves."

Riddle scoffed again. "Of course you're into house-elf rights."

Marina stood up straight and fixed him with a hard look. "You realise that you're going to have to develop a speck of empathy for other living things if this plan is going to work, right?"

"They're made for service," he rolled his eyes. "That's not –"

"Right yes, and as we know things cannot be changed, improved, or revised once they exist," Marina nodded. "The way things are is definite and eternal, and no society can evolve or self-analyse to benefit people who are disadvantaged. You're so right, I'm the idiot."

He gave her a scathing look. "The natural order –"

"Don't you talk to me about the natural order Riddle, you're technically a talking book with half the soul of a fifty-year-old teenage wizard," Marina said, bending one leg and stretching out the other as deep as she could go. "Hardly the authority on what's natural."

"That's different," he said. She could hear the scowl.

"Sure," she smirked. "Anyway, the reason I asked is because I'm going to dinner soon, and I can't exactly leave you alone, and you did in fact promise to stay out of the diary so –"

"Can I bring my book?" he interrupted sounding very bored already, not looking up from his book.

"Yeah," she said as she swapped legs.

"Then I'll come with you," said Riddle, turning the page he was on unaffectedly.

Marina smirked again. He was pretending like it was such a hard deal, but she knew he was probably looking forward to going outside and seeing something new for once. None of the others took Riddle anywhere and she couldn't imagine it was very interesting being stuck in someone's house all the time.