Chapter Twenty-One

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
GIFTS AND GHOSTS
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

CHRISTMAS MORNING BROKE over Diagon Alley with a flurry of thick snowfall. Kaleidoscopic ice patterns stretched across Marina's frozen windowpanes and she pulled on two pairs of socks to ward off the cold before rounding on the small pile of gifts that sat in at the foot of her bed.

Mrs Weasley had invited Marina to go with them to Romania to visit Charlie but she had opted to stay in London – she hadn't wanted to intrude on their family holiday since they saw Charlie so infrequently. Plus, if she was being honest, Marina was excited to explore Diagon Alley and see how the wizarding world celebrated Christmas. In lieu of her refusal, Mrs Weasley had plied her with as many gifts and treats as possible, evidently distraught at the idea of Marina spending Christmas alone. Marina's room was laden with the fruits of Mrs Weasley's efforts – a tin of fat mince pies sat on the dresser next to a large gingerbread rendition of the Burrow that leaned at an impossible angle with long sugar icicles dangling from its roof. Marina had found room for the plate of treacle tarts on the desk – but she'd had to precariously place the round Christmas cake with its dripped white icing on her spare chair since there was no other place for it.

It felt only right to start with Mrs Weasley's gift first; a large lumpy present wrapped in bright red paper and tied with gold string. Marina carefully undid the knot and pulled off the paper revealing – to her delight – a huge hand-knit jumper of thick green wool with a pale pink 'M' on the front. She replaced her old yellow jumper with it immediately, grinning.

Turning back to the present pile and suddenly feeling very Christmassy, Marina unwrapped an elegant white quill in a gleaming wooden case from McGonagall, a glazed ceramic mug from Remus that looked perfect for hot chocolates, a bottle of Colour-Change Ink from Dumbledore, and a strange golden trinket that she assumed was from Moody since the only note attached with it said 'Merry Christmas – keep an eye open.' Unable to tell what it was, Marina placed it gingerly back in the small leather pouch it had come in and left it undisturbed. If it was from Moody, there was no telling what it could do.

Marina rounded on the last present – the small parcel Riddle had given her sat almost nondescript amongst her new things. She picked it up and turned it over, examining the neatly wrapped brown paper and thin simple twine that held it together. A loud knock at her door broke her attention and she jumped in surprise. Marina set down the present and opened the door to reveal a very festive looking Dumbledore dressed in crimson robes with golden trim.

"Marina!" he beamed. "Thank you so much for your gift..." he extended his foot so that Marina could see the bright purple woollen socks she'd given him peeking out above his shoes. "They are exactly what I wanted," he said, eyes gleaming.

"You're welcome, sir," Marina grinned. "Thought you might like a break from all the books. And – thanks for the ink!"

"My pleasure," Dumbledore smiled. "Now, I apologise for interrupting your Christmas day, however there has been a development..."

Marina was serious at once. "What's happened?"

"Not to worry, my dear," Dumbledore said calmly, holding up a hand. "All is well. I simply mean to say that Tom is meeting Miss Myrtle Warren today – I thought that you would want to be there.

"Oh," she said blandly. "Oh Christmas?"

"Tom doesn't appear to put much distinction on the day," Dumbledore said pleasantly. "He requested that we start as soon as possible."

"Alright," Marina said, looking around her room. "Give me a moment –"

She hastily pulled on her boots and after a moment's thought grabbed Riddle's present before she turned back to Dumbledore and followed him down the stairs and into the already bustling pub. A huge Christmas tree stood against the wall with real fairies floating daintily amongst the branches, but other than that the Leakey Cauldron's décor was scant. Despite this, the atmosphere in the room was alive with cheer, and groups of witches and wizards were already gathered in loud, exuberant conversation.