CHAPTER 1

HAYDEN'S POV                                                                                                                I stared out the window, watching the gardener trim the rose bushes, i sighed leaving a foggy mist on my face mask that was connected to the machine helping me breathe, my stomach rumbled and i looked at the bowl of oatmeal sitting innocently on the table next to my bed, i leaned forward and grabbed it stuffing spoonfuls of it down my throat, as i recalled the events of today, i had a serious and particularly painful attack on Friday during English class, i was rushed to the hospital, the doctors worked their magic and here i was, alive and kicking, but not cured, and i wouldn't be alive for much longer, i had just a year left before, addios world, my doctor told my family last year that my condition was slowly and steadily getting worse, and i didn't find a donor in a year, i'll be dead, my dad and older sister, Heather broke down and started crying, my mom just frowned, i simply told them "if i die you don't have to spend all your money on medications, you can use it to do other stuff" dad and Heather cried harder, clinging to me, while mom wrote it off as depression and demanded i see a therapist. 

Anyways i was halfway through my oatmeal, when someone rudely barged into my room, well technically not my room, but it was the ward reserved for me, the guy was tall like way taller than me, (i'm pretty short for my age) with light caramel skin beads of sweat were dripping of him, his light brown hair was unruly and curly, his perfectly shaped eyebrows were furrowed in confusion, his sparkly brown eyes looked excited and his cheeks were flushed, he wore a white baggy t-shirt and black skinny jean with grey high-tops, and a skateboard was tucked under his arm, before i could say anything he spoke first, "what are you doing here?" he asked, i nearly lost it, is it too hard to let a dying guy get some peace while he contemplates on his life? the answer is yes apparently, luckily for him i didn't blow a fuse and calmly replied, "this is my ward", his frown deepened "my grandma is supposed to be here, in ward 99" he said, showing me the card with 99 engraved on it,  i sighed and collected it from him, flipping it the right way up, "this is ward 66, ward 99 is further down the hall" i said, "oh" he replied, scratching the back of his head nervously, "sorry for the mishap, i'm Jaylen by the way" he said, "Hayden" i replied, he frowned thoughtfully then beamed, "that kind of rhymes, Jaylen, Hayden" he said excitedly like a six year  old child that was given a gold star by the teacher, "you don't say" i replied, "anyways, see you later, i have to get going before my grandma flips out" he said, as he left slamming the door behind him, "finally" i muttered when he was gone. I resumed my day dreaming only for the door to be slammed open again, this time i totally blew up, "DOESN'T ANYONE HERE KNOW HOW TO KNOCK?!" i said, "chill, it's only me" said Heather raising her hands in a surrender gesture, "which brings me to my question, aren't you supposed to be sucking face with your boyfriend in a fancy hotel?" i asked as she took a seat beside me, "my brother is more important, i need to spend as much time with you as possible" she said purposely forgetting to say the words, 'before you die', i raised my eyebrow, "i didn't know you cared" i said, she smiled sadly, "of course i do, you're my little brother" she said ruffling my hair, "i sorry" i muttered suddenly, "no need to be sorry you can't help it" she said her voice said, "i wish-" "hey Hayden i'm back!" a familiar voice said, slamming the door open, i rubbed my temples feeling a wave of pity for the door hinges, "ooh, i didn't know who had a friend" said Heather as Jaylen walked in, "we're not friends" i said firmly, "i'll leave you two to it" she said as she left.

"What do you want?" i asked him, "nothing" he replied as he flopped down on the chair, "i just want to talk to someone" he said, "and you came to me?" i asked, "either you or the old ladies who barely know who they are" he said, "touche" i replied, "anyways, getting back on track, tell me about yourself" he said, "i'm seventeen and i have a rare chronic lung disease so i only have one year to live" i said, he frowned, "tell me about YOU, not about your death sentence" he said, "okay, i'm seventeen as i said, i used to be the ace of my swimming team in middle school before i was diagnosed, which is kind of ironic thinking about it, anyways,i'm more of a dog person even though i look like a cat person, i love strawberry ice-cream and milkshake, i hate shopping, i dislike crowds and parties, and i have a high acohol tolerance, don't ask me how i know that" i said, "first of all you do look like a cat-person" said Jaylen, "okay so tell me about yourself" i said, "okay, first of all animals hate my guts, i don't know why,  when i went to the zoo in middle school, my class went to the lion's exhibit and they tried to break out and grab me, the snakes kept hissing at me and i swear the monkeys were glaring at me, one of them threw poop at me, and let me tell you, money-crap smells like hell" said Jaylen,  i bit back a laugh, "anyways, i love horror movies, i hate reading i have no patience for it, i dislike vegetables i'm a fruit person all the way, my favorite country is Japan cause i'm a total otaku, i'm on my basketball team i'm the shooting guard, actually i started playing basketball after watching this anime 'Kuroko no basket' when i was eight, it looked so cool and easy in the anime, after trying it out, i realized it was as difficult as hell and that was how i learnt the difference between anime and real-life" he said sighing, i laughed "so you started playing basketball because of anime?" i asked, he nodded, "watching that anime got me into my middle school basketball team" he said, "are you planning to go NBA?" i asked, "yeah! my coach says his positive i can do it" he replied, "and one day i'll beat Lebron Jame's records" he said firmly, i smiled sadly "it's nice to have a big dream like that" i said, "dreams are what keeps people going" he said, "yeah, they do" i agreed, "i have a feeling we're going to be really good friends" he said, "yeah, i agree with that" i said