O T H E R fourteen

Nine years later

I'm trying to pushing the cart of water samples through the crowd of people gathered around the tank watching the penguins being fed. I make it to the back of the crowd to a hidden 'employee only' door carved into a fake rock. As I try to hold the door open and push the cart through it I'm stopped in my tracks.

"Evangeline"? Even after ten years I recognize his voice. Turning around I'm met with Noah Johansson.

"Noah!" I smile, genuinely "Hi!"

"Wow!" He says "I can't believe it's really you! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me! Here let me help you."
He reaches around and holds the door so I can push my cart through it. With the cart securely in the employee area I allow the door to close and turn my attention back to Noah.

"Thank you, I usually have a partner for that" I laugh.

"I still can't believe it's you! You haven't aged, you look exactly the same!" He says "How have you been? How long have you worked here?"

As I open my mouth to answer the employee door behind me opens.

"Oh, Dr. Abbott, I was just coming to find you, I have the report you asked for on the algae tests we ran in the jellyfish exhibit."

"Thanks, Scott. I'll take that." I say smiling, tucking the folder under my arm. I turn back to a suprised Noah.

"Doctor?" He questions

"Oh yeah" I laugh "I got my doctorate in Marine biology. I'm the head of marine research here. For two years actually."

"And Abbott?" He asks.

"Yes, I'm married. Abbott is my last name." I say, unable to hide my smile whenever I think of my husband.

When we first met I was sure that Connor would be another Noah. A player type, a womanizer. While it wasn't a completely inaccurate assessment, I did get one part wrong. That's not the kind of relationship he wanted with me.

He was relentless in his efforts to show me that he was the man I'd been waiting for. We dated for three years, until he graduated with his PhD in climatology.

Then, during a romantic post graduation celebration week in Bali, he proposed. We got married two years later, after I finished my Phd in marine sciences.

We moved to his hometown near the Gold Coast of Australia for two years until I was offered a job at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, in California, as the head of marine research. I twist the ring around my finger, a habit whenever I'm thinking of my amazing husband.

"Wow, you're married. Congratulations." He says "Do you have kids?"

"Yes, one daughter, Cordelia." Cordi is two. Her name means 'of the sea' which Connor and I thought was beautifully appropriate.

"It's so good to see you" he smiles.

I guess it is? It's not bad to see him but really, I feel nothing. I haven't so much as thought about him in years. He was right, way back in college, we weren't right for each other.

My emotions clouded my mind and heart and I was never able to see our incompatibility until I was on the otherside. I'm snapped back to reality when he touches my arm. Apparently hes been talking while I've been lost in the thoughts.

"So?" He questions "would that be ok?"

"I'm sorry? Would what be ok?"

"I said we should exchange numbers. I'm only in town for a week. I'm visiting my sister" he points to some people in the crowd. "I've got my nephews here with me. But we should grab dinner or something while I'm in town."

I smile at him, it's nice to see him and feel so completely full and happy with my life that he means nothing but there is nothing for us to pursue beyond this chance encounter.

"I'm not sure exchanging information is necessary" I keep my tone soft, trying to make sure he doesn't feel like this is some sort of bitter, angry reply.

"We don't know each other anymore, Noah. After three minutes at dinner there would be uncomfortable silence. Please don't take this wrong, it's nice to see you, I'm glad you seem well, but we don't need this to go farther than a quick hello."

"Oh" he seems surprised "I... yeah, I get it."

"It really is nice to see you after so long."

After saying a quick goodbye I continue with my original course of action, slipping behind the employee door to push my cart to the lab. As I reach the lab my phone starts to ring. Quickly crossing the hall into my office, I sit at my desk and answer.

"Theres mommy!" Connors voice comes through the phone. He's holding Cordi, who has messy, post-nap hair.
"Hi, sweet girl! Did you just wake up?" She smiles and pushes her face into her dads shoulder.

"Sierra just called me" Connor says "shes coming up next week to stay with us. Its a suprise for your birthday."

I can't help but laugh. Three years ago Sierra came to Australia as a surprise for my birthday. She and Connor set the whole thing up together. I never had the heart to tell her how much I hated that they didn't tell me. I had no time to prepare, to clean my house or buy extra food. I never told her but I sure told him. Now, whenever she plans a suprise visit, he tells me, quickly. 

"I love you, Connor." I laugh.

"Hurry home, love, we miss you."