𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊. caspian

𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐖𝐎: Prince Caspian──── 𝟏𝟕

──── 𝟏𝟕. Caspian

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Man's handiwork had rendered the ford inaccessible; it was now an active worksite. With much vexation, Katherine had to watch workers tear the forest — her forest — apart to bridge the gap between the two lands while Telmarine sentries overlooked the process. And for the first time, the Pevensies had seen the notorious Lord Miraz. He was a much more dark, intimidating figure than Trumpkin made him out to be. And the dwarf himself had said a few things about him that wasn't worth repeating.

They had no choice but to retrace their steps back to the gorge and leave it up to Lucy's interpretation of Aslan's manifestation to guide them.

     "So where exactly do you think you saw Aslan?" Peter inquired.

     Lucy turned to face them from staring at the opposite ledge where they were previously. She narrowed her eyes at her brother. "I wish you'd all stop trying to sound like grownups. I don't think I saw him, I did see him."

     "I am a grownup," muttered Trumpkin. Edmund stifled his laughter and glanced at his oldest sister, who didn't share the amusement.

     "It was right over—" The ground beneath her feet caved in until Lucy vanished within a flash. Susan shouted her name as the five scrambled to rescue her. But once they poked their heads over the gaping hole, Katherine let out a sigh of relief. Sitting inches from a great fall, unharmed, Lucy gazed up at them. "—here."

Miraculously, Lucy's fall revealed a steep path downhill alongside the mountain. If they took that route, they could easily avoid crossing the Rush and any unwanted run-ins with the Telmarines. Katherine certainly was grateful for the manifestation of Aslan. It was an unspoken agreement amongst the siblings and Trumpkin. One by one, they dropped into the hole and began their descent.

It was a silent journey, and rather tedious. Katherine could've sworn they'd done three long zigzags before finally reaching a glimmering creek at the bottom. The quick change of scenery — from walking alongside cliff walls to hearing an ambience of trickling water — motivated them to trek on further.

And by another miracle, the six made it outside of the Shuddering Woods before dusk fell. Trumpkin lit a fire, gathered apples to roast for dinner, and reluctantly entertained the Pevensies with chronicles after the Golden Age. It seemed to have been the icing on the cake; the soft chatter quieted down was reduced to pure silence amongst the six.

"Lucy, are you awake?"

Until Susan.

Lucy hummed. Katherine heard shuffling, and Susan questioned, "Why do you think I didn't see Aslan?"