Chapter 4: The Truth Comes Clean

As soon as Iris had left, the girls all began preparations for his 16th birthday party. After 16 years, they had gotten used to the simple life with their miraculous powers. Each of them had different jobs. Alya was baking a cake, Marinette busied herself by making another flower crown for Iris, while Juleka helped Rose with the decorations.

Rose spoke up, "Can you believe it's been 16 years since we decided to raise little Iris?"

Marinette beamed, facing the blonde, "Well, he's not so little anymore."

"To think, this is the last time we're doing this for him," Juleka said quietly.

"Yeah, before we have to..." Alya sighed sadly. "Now girls, we have been expecting this to come... So let's finish this up and think of how we're gonna tell him about his true family."

With that, the girls got back to work. After a long while, they were finally finished. The room was decorated with pink and blue streamers and balloons. A banner with pink and blue alternating letters that spelt 'Happy Birthday!' hang high. There was a three-tier pink-frosted cake on the table with blue icing. Besides the cake stood a flower crown made of red and white camellia flowers. All the girls agreed that it was perfect.

Alya looked out the window and alerted the girls that Iris was on his way back. They quickly hid in different places. As if on cue, Iris opened the door, flipped off his hood and strolled inside.

"Mari? Alya? Rose? Juleka?" He called out to them and was confused when there was no reply.

When he saw the decorated room and the cake and present, he gasped in surprise. Then his godmothers all came out, yelling 'Surprise!' Iris smiled and hugged each of them. Both he and Alya announced that they had news, much to the surprise of everyone.

"It's okay Iris," Marinette calmly stated. "Tell us what news do you have?"

Iris nodded, an idealistic glint in his eyes, "I met a boy and a girl in the woods today. The girl was a little rough and quick-minded, but really nice. The boy... He was really sweet and so attractive, with his bright blue eyes and blazing red hair."

Iris sighed dreamily as he described Nathaniel. His godmothers all looked at him worriedly. Did he really meet someone? Who would out so far into the woods?

Iris just continued, "His name is Nath and I really can't wait for you to meet him."

"Wait, meet him?" Alya repeated in disbelief. "You invited him here?"

Iris stopped and looked at her, "Well... I hope that's alright."

Alya looked at the other girls in awkward silence. Iris sat down on a stool and set his black notebook on the table, anticipating their response. Eventually, Marinette sighed and walked over to Iris.

"Listen, Iris," she said in a gentle tone. "You can't see him."

Marc seemed confused and distraught, "Why not? I mean, I'm turning 16 soon. I'm sure I can make my own decisions."

"It's not that," Alya explained, trying to find the right words. "It's just... You are actually the long lost Prince Marc."

"Wh-what?" Marc muttered in disbelief.

Rose explained, smiling gently, "A long time ago, when you were just a baby, the evil Hawkmoth placed a curse on you."

"So your parents entrusted us with you," Juleka continued. "To raise you deep into the forest and to protect you."

"That's because we're miraculous wielders," Alya added on. "We have special powers."

Marinette lastly finished, "And now it's time to bring you back to the palace."

Iris just listened wordless, his thoughts running through his head. Him, a prince? And his aunts, miraculous wielders? He had heard of Hawkmoth once when Alya accidentally blurted out that name and was told that he was just some made-up story. All this time. Iris slowly stood up and made his way to the stairs.

"I'm just going upstairs... For a while," Marc told them, walking up the stairs.

He went into his room and fell onto his bed. He stared outside the window, looking at his special spot and realizing that he will never get to go there again. He finally allowed the tears to stream down his cheeks, feeling absolutely hopeless.