7

:・゚☆ DEVINA FROZE, WEAPON  STILL raised high in the air. Blood showered over Santanico's body and for a moment Devina couldn't move, too stunned, but then she heard a familiar groan and her heart lurched and she was angry, angrier than she had been at Richard before, because now there was a hole in his chest that was too big to be filled by any sort of apology and she wondered how she could've ever been mad at him before.

Santanico let out an animalistic roar, a sound they had never heard from her lungs before and launched for the bastard who had pulled the trigger but Devina wasn't looking at him, she was looking at Richard but he wasn't even looking at her. He was looking at something she couldn't see, thoughtless and numb and the knife in his hand clattered to the floor and then he fell to his knees, too.

"Richie!-" Devina's voice was nothing but a breath, as quick and as harsh as the sound of the gun. She swore she could still hear it echoing under the floorboards or maybe that was the faint beating of her heart that she couldn't hear over Santanico's hissing and snarling. There was a pain in her chest, too, but it was rather an ache, the ache that accompanied loss but Richard wasn't gone yet. He was still here for now but Devina didn't know how to keep him here forever.

"Seth, do something!" She begged and she didn't expect her voice to be all broken, didn't expect to feel anything for this man but... she did. And Seth was as numb as Devina wished she was, staring down at his brother who was bleeding out in front of them and there was nothing he could do, nothing the either of them could do here.

Out of all of the bullets cast against the ground, the one in Richard's chest was the one she hated the most.

Santanico pounced in front of her and grabbed Richard but Devina wasn't going to let her just drag him away. She got to her feet and shoved the culebra back harshly, her teeth bared just like hers, except they weren't sharp, pointed fangs.

"What are you gonna do, huh?" Devina's throat was scratchy and her voice strained but there was no way in Hell she was going to let her do anything to Richard, even if that meant the inevitable. "Turn him into one of these freaks? That's not gonna happen!"

Devina reached down to retrieve the stake from the ground and as soon as she had it in her possesion, the back of Santanico's hand collided with Devina's face and it stung like Hell and she couldn't bite back the curses building in her throat, her face burning. "You bitch!"

Santanico let out an angered hiss, mouth forming into a wicked smile and the stake in Devina's hand inched closer to the culebra's chest in one swift, steady motion and she knew exactly where it would land. Right where her heart was hidden, deep in her chest and her big talk about something coming would be nothing other than her death.

The second death, the one that ended with her body in ashes but Santanico grabbed her hand, gripping it so tightly mid-air that the stake fell from her fist and hit the floor without a sound. Unable to move, Devina could do nothing more than stare into Santanico's glowing, yellow eyes filled with an emotion that she didn't know about yet. Something between anger and complacency, that was before Devina was launched across the room with the strength of a single hand.

It didn't even feel like a full second had passed until her back collided with something hard and cold – a wall, most probably. Devina fell to the ground with a thump and when she opened her eyes, she could see nothing or maybe she just hadn't opened her eyes yet... no, they were definitely open. She could see Santanico grab Richard and pull him away and that was enough that she wanted to see, she wished her eyes were shut in the first place.

But then the darkness did come, starting at the edges of her vision and bleeding down into the center like blood from a gunshot wound.