Chapter 1

Third person POV

"C-Clay! Wait- wait up!" Y/N panted, trying to catch up with her best friend.

"And let you win? N-no way!" Clay replied, running out of breath just as he reached the horse pen. He touched the fence and yelled to Y/N, "Y-YESSS! I WON!"

"No fair!" A tired Y/N argued, just reaching the fence. "You're older then me!"

"Only by six months," Clay shrugged.

"Whatever," Y/N rolled her eyes. "Do you know what today is?"

"Yep! It's my day to feed the horses!" Clay said, while he and Y/N walked over to the hay.

"No! It's the day before my 7th birthday!" Y/N exclaimed.

"Oh! I knew that! I was just joking!" Clay told her, laughing it of while putting some hay in the horses food trough.

"CLAY! Y/N! GEORGE! NICK! TIME FOR LUNCH!" Mrs. Lily called out to the orphans. George and Nick were both turned 14 today.

The kids all ran to the librarians house to eat their lunch. As they all sat down Mrs. Lily's husband, Mr. Mayor as the kids called him, looked at them and spoke.

"Nick! George! You both know you're being sent out after this! Right?"

"Yes, sir. We know. We both have our things packed," George stated.

"Where are Nick and Georgie going, Mr. Mayor?" Y/N asked.

"Good question, young Y/N. Whenever an orphan turns 14, they are sent out to the big wide world to make a living. The are only allowed back into their home village for rest, resources, or when they turn 20 and decide to work here for the rest of their life," Mr. Mayor stated. "They spend the day packing and saying goodbye to loved ones. They can leave anytime from after noon to midnight."

"Ohhhhh! That sounds cool! I can't wait till I'm 14!" Y/N said, awestruck.

Mrs. Lily laughed slightly. "Oh dear, girls like us actually get a choice if we wanna stay or go! You have a good few years till you need to make your decision," she stated.

"Oh, okay!" Y/N replied.

"Sorry we won't be here for your seventh birthday, Y/N," Nick said.

"It's okay, Nick! I have Clay with me!" Y/N smiled.

They all finished up their lunch and went back outside. Nick stopped Y/N and bent down to her height, handing her a small, soft package.

"I'm leaving now. George will be leaving with me. We saved up some money to get this for your birthday. We'll miss you Y/N," Nick said to her, giving her a hug and a kiss on the head before leaving to saddle up his horse.

Y/N toddled around with the package before Clay came up to her and said, "What's that?"

"Oh, it's a gift Nick and Georgie got me," Y/N told the curious boy.

"Well what are you waiting for? Open it!" Clay urged.

"Ok!" Y/N said, carefully opening the soft package, revealing a beautiful doll.
She had long, red locks of yarn; with no facial features. She was wearing a light blue, polka dot dress with a white apron over it.

"Wowwwww-," Y/N whispered. "I love it!" Y/N stood up, running to try and catch Nick and George before they left. She got there just as they left and yelled, "NICK! GEORGIE! I LOVE THE DOLLY! THANK YOU! I'LL MISS YOU! BYEEEE!"

Nick and George looked behind them, smiled, and waved bye to Y/N; before speeding up and racing out of sight. Y/N held her precious doll to her chest as she smiled, not realizing she may never see her friends again.

~~~~~The next day~~~~~

Y/N woke up and got dressed into her best dress. It was her seventh birthday! She ran to Clays room and knocked on his door rapidly.

"Dreamie! Wake up! I'm finally 7!" Y/N said, using her nickname for him. Clay opened his door. He was already wide awake and dressed in his nice clothes.

"I know! Let's go see if Mrs. Lily made breakfast yet!" He said as he and Y/N raced down the stairs. They both sat down at the table, where Mr. Mayor was sitting down. There was a fresh batch of pancakes on the table. Mrs. Lily came out from the kitchen and sat down at the table.

"Happy birthday, Y/N!" Mrs. Lily told her.

"Thank you Mrs. Lily!" Y/N thanked.

"You both did a very nice job cleaning up for church!" Mr. Mayor stated.

"Yep! It's cause today is special! Do you think Pastor Kelsey will let me sing in the choir, just for today?" Y/N inquired.

"Well, I don't see why not! You have a very lovely singing voice! Now, grab some pancakes before they get cold!" Mrs. Lily said, right before they all dug in.

After breakfast, they all put on their nice shoes and Mr. Mayor grabbed his bible before they all headed out to church. Upon getting there, Y/N beelined strait for the pastor and asked him about singing. He told her she could, just for that day, and Y/N headed for the back room where the choir was preparing.

"Well look who it is!" Big Sister Abigail said, picking Y/N up and spinning her around before setting her down. "It's the birthday girl!"

"Happy birthday, Y/N!" Sister Ruthanne told her.

"Thank you, Sister Ruth!" Y/N said politely. "Pastor Kelsey said I could sing with you guys today!"

"Did he? That's awesome! Go get a hymnal then!" Winnie said, finishing putting her hair into her signature top bun.

"Okay!" Y/N answered, running to grab a hymnal book off the shelf.

~~~~~after church~~~~~

"You sounded very nice in song service today, Y/N!" Pastor Kelsey stated.

"Thank you! I really enjoyed it!" the little Y/N replied.

"Maybe you could join the choir when you turn 14!" Big Sister Abigail stated.

"I would love to! But I'm leaving the village when I turn 14! If I don't like it, I'll come back and join the choir!" Y/N smiled. "But that would be cool if I were staying, Big Sister Abigail!"

"Y/N! Clay! We're leaving now! Say goodbye!" Mrs. Lily spoke loudly.

Y/N and Clay both said goodbye to who they were talking to and left.

~~~6 months later~~~

"Happy birthday, Dreamie!" Y/N told Clay while they were sitting under the stars. She handed him a red poppy she found and hugged her beloved doll tightly.

"Thanks N/N!" Clay accepted the flower.

"What job are you gonna get to earn your travel money?" Y/N asked him. They had just learned that when they turn eight, they can do local jobs to earn money and experience for their escapade when they turn 14.

"All kinds of jobs! I wanna have experience in everything so I'll be prepared for the world! During the week I'll fish, and work with Mr. Smith in the Smithery. And on other nights I'll work with fighting monsters with Finn! And I'll learn how to trade when Mr. Daniel comes by again! And when I turn 14, I'll leave and gather a lot of info on the world, and when you turn 14, I'll come back for you!" Clay rambled.

"Really?!" Y/N looked at him with wide, innocent eyes.

"Really,"

"Really and truly?"

"Really and truly," Clay laughed.

"Pinky promise?" Y/N held out her pinky.

"Pinky promise," Clay linked his pinkey with hers and thus, the promise was made.

Hi! My names Moira but you can just call me the author if you want. Today is the 7th of November, 2020. Hope you all are having a wonderful day! Bye bye!
Irish Potato☘️🥔