Chapter 6

The three of us ran to a shipyard as the TIEs fired at them. I was sent flying forward before tumbling along the sandy terrain. My ears rang as I became dazed. I blinked a couple of times before a girl blocked out the blinding sun. "Jalen! Hey! Are you all right?" She asked shaking me slightly. I shook my head sitting up. "You okay?" I asked in return. "Yes." She answered furrowing her eyebrows. The scavenger helped me to my feet. "Follow me." Rey told me before we ran off again with BB-8 trailing behind them. "We can't outrun them!" Finn shouted as they ran. "We might in that Quadjumper!" Rey yelled pointing at a ship up ahead. "Hey, we need a pilot!" Finn shouted again. "We've got one!" I yelled in unison with Rey. "Uh, what about that ship?" Finn asked. Rey looked to her right. "That one's garbage!" She answered. A couple of seconds later, the Quadjumper exploded from laser fire. I skidded to a halt. "The garbage will do." Rey said before we ran towards the other hunk of junk. I ran inside. "Gunner position is down there!" I said to Finn as I ran to the cockpit and sat into the pilot's seat as Rey sat beside me in the co-pilot's seat. "You ever fly this thing?!" Finn shouted. "No! This ship hasn't flown in years." Rey answered. "Kriff!" I exclaimed flipping switches. "I can do this. I can do this." Rey said to herself. I slowly turned my head and looked at her. "You've never flown a ship...have you?" I asked. She looked at me wide-eyed. "Possibly." She answered. "Aw shab." I muttered behind the helmet looking out the viewport. "Just...watch what I do, okay?" I stated starting the engines and lifting the freighter off the surface of the planet. The ship went sideways as I tried to get used to the controls. "Have you ever flown this ship?" Rey asked crossing her arms. "Watch your tone, Scavenger!" I spat as I leveled the ship. "Wait, stay low! Hey, stay low!" Finn shouted. "What?!" I yelled. "Stay low! It confuses their tracking." Finn explained. "BB-8, hold on!" I shouted. "Going low!" I yelled bringing the ship down close to the sandy surface of Jakku. The TIEs followed closely behind us as our ship was rocked by fire. "FINN! What are you doing back there? Are you ever gonna fire back?!" I shouted. "I'm working on it! Are the shields up?" He yelled back. I looked at Rey. "What button are the shields?" She asked looking at the console. I pointed across the console at a switch. "This one?" "No." "This one?" "No. No. No. Left. Left. Left!" I said dodging fire as I spun the ship. Rey finally found the switch and flipped it. Soon the ship's cannons were heard firing back at the TIEs. "We need cover quick." Finn voiced. "We're about to get some." Rey said looking ahead. "Your joking." I said looking at her line of sight. "Not really." She answered as I flew towards the wreckage of Imperial Star Destroyers. "I hope this works, Rey." I said looking at her. "It will, trust me." She said with a brief smile.