❤️Chapter twenty-one

The duo arrived at the party, hands in hands. Everyone wore a beautiful dress particularly for show offs and they had smiles on their faces. There was a disco ball at the side of the hall and chandelier which served for lighting purpose in the hall that held the main event.

    Pleasantries were exchanged with their colleagues as they sort around for a comfortable seat. Dainty fairy lights added a surplus amount of color to the grace of the the hall.
    The music in the background came to a brief pause as the CEO  walked into the hall and every other person  still standing quickly got a seat.

    After a long boring speech stating why the promoted workers were promoted and how he expects more profits this year, he walked out in pride.

    Next, it was the new manager addressing them.

    "We'd love to have fifty more people Insuring their cars by the end of this month. A minimum of 20 people insuring their cars would be great too." He said.

     The staffs listened quietly and hoped they could work effectively with this new manager.

    Very soon, all that was to be said was said already and it was time for rejoicing.

   "I hope you are okay?" Mr. Samuel asked Ifeoma as he noticed her unease throughout the speech.

    She nodded slowly.

"Do you want a drink?" He asked. She nodded again and he excused himself to get one for them.

      The other side of the hall was enveloped with the smell of champagne and Tequila. Samuel made his way past the crowd of champagne barring waiters and dodging women who carried glasses in a dangerous way, avoiding getting himself into trouble so that he wouldn't have to pay for broken glasses. He husked his nose frequently because of the strong smell of acohol until he got to the drink stand.

    "Hellooo." He greeted the waiter jovially as he ordered a bottle of whiskey for himself and a can of malt for his date. He took two glasses with him too.

    On his way back to his seat, he encountered some colleagues having fun with their wife or husband and kids. They all never fail to give an introduction.

      "What then is the gate of unmarried people?" He wondered to himself.

       "Hello, Mr. Samuel." Someone called out to him. He could never mistake the voice of Chuks for any other. He turned around carefully, holding firmly to the tray in his hands.

  Mr.  Chuks and Mr. Somto stood at his back smiling cheerfully as they exchanged pleasantries.

   "Congratulations, Mr Samuel." He said."From an underwriter to an actuaries in an insurance company is big success."

   "Thank you, man." Mr Samuel said as Mr. Somto patted his back softly.

  "Do you have somewhere to seat?" Mr Chuks asked him and he explained that he had a date. They decided to seat with him and his date since the table would contain even seven people.

    While greeting them, Ifeoma rubbed her temples continuously which made Samuel wonder if she was really okay.

     She nodded at him and smiled when she noticed him looking.

     "I'd keep saying that religion is the problem of Nigeria." Mr. Chuks deadpanned.

     "Aha! Where then do you keep politics?" Mr somto questioned.

    "Nigeria is the problem of Nigeria, we are the problem of Nigeria. Just take a look at..." Mr. Samuel started and the men began to argue.

   Ifeoma excused herself and walked into the bathroom. It was empty or so she thought but the noises she heard from one of the bathrooms few minutes later suggested that it wasn't really empty. She stood in front of one of the bathroom mirror looking at her reflection. She looked so pale already. She washed her face with water from the tap. She stood there, lost in thought for some more minutes until she heard the click on the bathroom door handle. She turned and walked away.

   "You're acting strange." Samuel whispered to her as she sat down. She shook her head quickly.

    "So what do you think, Miss. Okoh, about the reduction in number of life insurance client these few months? People think they aren't going to die again or what?" Mr. Somto asked her.

    "Well, I think..." She started but she cut her self off and just rested her head on the table.

    "Are you fine?" The three of them asked her simultaneously.

    "Yes." She said.

Mr. Chuks and Mr. Somto excused themselves leaving Samuel to take care of her.

    "What is it?" He asked her calmly.

"I just want to lie down real quick, drive me home, please." She said.

   "Can you..." He started.

"Please, I want to lie down." She screamed.

    "Well, we could just book one of the hotel rooms. It'd be faster that way." He suggested.

  She nodded immediately admonishing him to hurry up.

*****

Two chapters for the time I kept you waiting 🥺🥺
I'm sorry.