Chapter Nine

"Good morning, sunshine!"

"There's nothing good about it," Thea spat, not liking the notes of panic she heard in her own voice.

"Woah, are you okay?" Rose asked over the cell phone.

Thea sat at her white kitchen counter that served as her table in the galley way kitchen. She couldn't tear her eyes off the seemingly innocuous grapes. Thea also couldn't stop trembling. "I know it's early, but could you come over?"

"I'll be there in a heartbeat," Rose replied and then hung up.

In the ten minutes it took Rose to get there, Thea sat, unmoving, gawking at the misplaced grapes. The only sound which accompanied her was the ticking of her kitchen clock. Thea jumped when there was a knock on the door. She slid off her chair, quickly allowing Rose entry.

"What's going on?" Rose asked, dressed fashionably as ever, deep concern etched on her face.

Thea pointed at the grapes and didn't say a word.

Rose looked at the fruit, then at Thea, then back at the green grapes. "You dragged my ass out of bed, scared me half to death, over some grapes? Or are you pointing at something else?"

"I think I'm losing my mind," Thea replied in her shaking voice.

"I'll say."

"Rose," Thea said desperately, taking her friend by the shoulders. "If I tell you something, will you promise me to just listen, and not judge right away?"

Rose shrugged. "Sure, I'm game."

"Taste one of those grapes."

Rose laughed. "Poisoning me, Thea?"

"Just--just do it, alright?"

Rose grew serious. "Alright." Rose went to them and popped one into her mouth. Thea watched her intently as she chewed and swallowed. "Not bad, can I have another?"

"I--I guess."

Rose made herself at home, sitting on the chair. Perfectly manicured hands picked up the small bunch, and she popped another one into her mouth.

"Last night I had a dream about the Pharaoh again," Thea said, watching her friend devour the small, delectable grapes. "We were eating together. When I woke up from the dream, I had been eating grapes--those grapes."

Rose paused mid-chew, glancing at he fruit in hand.

"When I woke up they fell out of my bed."

Rose finished her chewing and swallowed. "So...you're trying to tell me, what? Your dream-grapes magically transported into reality?"

Thea nodded, feeling sick.

Rose set them down and grinned. "Well no wonder they taste so wonderful! They're genetically unaltered and not pumped full of pesticides--"

"I'm being serious, Rose!" Thea snapped.

Rose blinked. Thea had never so much as risen her voice to her. She licked her lips and became very serious. "Okay, I'm sorry." Rose splayed her hands on the counter. "Look, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for all this, and we'll figure it out, okay?"

Thea nodded.

"Alright. Hmm. Have you ever sleep walked before?"

"No, never," Thea replied.

"Well, maybe you did. Could you have slept-walked and ate?"

Thea quickly went to the fridge that was behind Rose's left shoulder. She opened the produce drawer, grabbed the bag of red grapes, and set them down next to Rose. "Wrong color and size."

Rose looked at them, worrying her lip a moment. "Alright...Um, maybe this small bunch are just an under-ripe section you picked? I mean, that happens sometimes, right?"

Thea began to feel less tense. "I suppose." Thea's optimism quickly faded. "Do red grapes ripen to be that color? Do they start green?"

Rose continued to worry her lip, looking a little guilty at failing to put her friend's mind at ease. "I don't know honestly, Thea."

Thea burst into tears. Rose went to her immediately and drew her friend into her arms. "Hey, hey, shh. Thea doll, there's no reason for tears!"

"I'm losing my mind," Thea lamented, hugging her friend fiercely. "The other day when I wanted to introduce you to Ahmed, I think I--I think I lost time or something. He walked in right after you had left, but you were gone."

Rose paused a moment, stroking her hair. "That is strange...I didn't pass anyone in the hallway that morning when I left."

Thea cried harder.

"Hey, come on now, chin up." Rose pulled Thea away, wiping her eyes and giving a smile. "I've never seen you like this, and I must admit, I don't like it."

That made Thea laugh through her tears. Rose smiled at her.

"You're a stubborn woman of reason. You've been that way since day one. Remember, how we met?"

Thea laughed again. "Me, wandering around the museum aimlessly, completely lost?"

"Yes, and you were too proud to admit you had no idea where you needed to go?"

Thea continued to laugh, and Rose began to join in. "You found me in the Renaissance section."

"Clear other side of the museum!"

"I was totally and utterly lost."

"But you tried acting like you were just a patron."

"Even though the museum was minutes away from opening even."

"Thea, darling."

Thea wiped her own tears.

"Look, I don't have a good explanation right now for the grapes, or what you're saying happened with Ahmed."

Thea frowned.

"But," Rose continued, rueful smile on her lips, "you're a woman of logic and science. Grapes can't just materialize out of thin air."

"R-right."

"And neither can people. They can't disappear, too. I didn't disappear, nor did Ahmed magically appear. You probably just didn't realize the amount of time that had passed between us. You know--sometimes you're at work and you look at the clock, and you're like, 'gosh! I can't believe it's three o'clock already!' It happens to everyone."

Thea nodded. Rose gave her a final hug, and when she pulled away she planted a kiss on Thea's forehead. Thea shut her eyes and smiled.

"You should go back to bed," said Rose, making Thea open her eyes. "You keep complaining you're sleeping like garbage; your nerves are probably just shot."

Thea grinned now, feeling worlds better. She took her friend by both hands, giving them a squeeze. "Too bad I'm straight; I think you're good for me."

Rose winked but then rolled her eyes, pulling away. "Don't toy with my heart, woman."

Thea laughed. "Thank you Rose. Seriously."

"You're welcome. When you wake up again, call me, okay? Maybe we can spend a boring Sunday together."

"That sounds lovely."

"Bye, Thea. I'm sure you'll have sweet dreams."

Rose left. For a moment Thea just stood by the door, her hand on the doorknob, leaning heavily against it. Finally, she looked at the menacing grapes. Scowling, she padded across the room to them. Without another thought she unceremoniously swept them into the garbage and retired back to her room, hoping for the sweet dreams Rose had promised.