Chapter Four: Roxie's Turn

Chapter four

Roxi's turn

-- dog barks --

-- barking gets louder --

Roxie holds her head in between her palms as she manages to open her eyes.

It hurts, she says to herself as she tries to look up.

"Ko-ko" she looks at the source of the sound

-- woof woof --

He walks away and returns with Roxie's phone in between his teeth then drops it in front of her.

"Ko-ko, not again; it's not a toy", Roxie complains as she wipes the saliva off by rubbing it over the rug next to her.

"C'mon boy, let's get you home", Roxie says as she gets up.

Ko-ko, a 2 and 7 months old husky. His eyes, silver like a mirror, as if your soul was being reflected back, his body covered well with fur, soft and silky, white as snow could be.

Roxie takes a look at his collar, the chain's hook was snatched maybe because the collar is so old and probably that's how he managed to run. He had it around his neck since as long as she can remember. She touches the name tag, a silver bone; the color complimented his eyes.

"Ko-ko", she says to herself as she manages to smile.

She stands up and dusts her clothes, before walking towards the door. She realizes she forgot to close it ( her old habit ).

"Come ko-ko" she signs the husky.

The dog wags his tails and follows her as if he has known her since forever.

-- knocks on the door--

An old lady creaks open the door only to notice it's her dog.

"Ko-ko my boy" she says at her happy sight of seeing the dog after a whole night of him disappearing.

The dog barks twice.

" Lemme guess, Roxanne" The old lady tries to recall her name.

"Yes" replies Roxie politely.

"I knew he must have gone to your place", the lady said as if it was usual.

"Here's your dog, Roxie says as the dog lets himself back in the house.

" You said it well 'your dog'" the lady said with a chuckle.

"You know.." Roxie says as she breaks off.

"Of course my dear" the lady replies.

Roxie took him in when he was 3 months old and since then she's been looking after him. Afterall living alone can get lonely sometimes, a little company can change everything.

As a teenager, she and Raven didn't get along most of the time and hence "ko-ko" was her only shoulder to cry upon, laugh with and care for. Ko-ko was basically like her son, apart from her work and her sister, he was the only other thing that mattered to her.

But, sometimes you just want better for your loved ones. So, Roxie decided it was best for "ko-ko" to be with somebody who isn't as busy as her. The old lady stayed at home for most hours of the day and ko-ko was more of an indoorsy puppy.

"Is something bothering you? Is it Raven again? Did something happen to her?" The lady asks with concern.

"Yes" Raven replies unsure.

"Oh my dear, come in and we can talk about it", the lady invites her inside in a sympathetic tone.

"No, I can't. I need to leave right now" Roxie replies anxiously.

" But where are you going to go?" The lady asks.

"Far" Roxie replies as she heads away from the door.

"Do you need a car?" The lady tries to offer help

"Yes, please that'd be nice" Roxie replies in an appreciative tone.

The woman eyes at the key holder next to the door, inside the house. Roxie reaches for the keys and thanks the lady again.

-- woof woof --

"He says good luck" the lady states.

"Oh, I know what he said." Roxie nods and smiles at the dog before she leaves.

---------------

Roxie rushes back into her tiny old apartment to gather some last few items before she leaves for the hunt. She picks up the backpack lying on the floor and empties it all out at once.

"I'm sorry for that" she apologizes to herself for making a mess.

She packs necessities in a rush and runs to her desk to grab the postcard before she leaves.

-- 1 new message --

The phone displays a notification but Roxie forgets to pick it up from where she left it earlier.

---------

Roxie hastily gets into the car, throws her backpack on the back seat and starts the engine up. It was an old Tahoe Turquoise 1966 Mustang, that the neighbouring lady had owned since her youth days.

"I have to get to her as soon as I can", Roxie murmurs to herself as she gears up.

She looks at the postcard again and realizes that it's folded. It unravels into a map.

"That's just what I needed.", Roxie wishes herself good luck as she drives off.

Roxie follows the trails on the map as she anxiously thinks about her sister while sipping on the coffee she got earlier. Right when her car breaks down in the middle of nowhere halfway in the journey.

--Screechhh--- the car stops

And the smoke comes out of the bonnet. She hops out only to notice that there's also a flat tyre.

"Ah great! Right when I needed it the most!!", Roxie starts to curse her luck.

Cause misery loves Roxie.

Footnote:

"Ko-ko", ain't it a cute name for a dog. Do you like dogs too? Or are you a cat person?

Please comment below and let us know ^^.

Well, coming back to the story; who was the old lady and why did she give Roxie her car?

What will Roxie do now, with an unfixable car being stuck in the middle of nowhere? Find out in the next chapter ;)

Stay tuned ya'll, Lots of love ~pollusXcastor <3 tada 🎉🥳