Chapter One

It's the middle of December. It's cold. Very cold. I packed a backpack in my bedroom. I was leaving. I'd rather not get into detail on why just yet. Just know, I'm leaving for my own good.

I managed to swipe some cash from a shoebox under my stepfather's bed. That wad of cash plus my own that I've been saving should be enough for a train ticket. I had to get to King's Cross station. And then from there- I don't know. I just need to get out of here. 

I left out of my bedroom window, my backpack slung over my shoulder as I ran down the rainy, dark streets of my small town. I hopped on a bus and paid the fee. Told the man I needed to get to London. He said it was an hour long trip and I'd be the last drop off on his route.

The bus had a large amount of people on it. It was difficult to find anywhere to sit. I wanted somewhere comfortable considering I'd be on this bus for a while. Also because all of these stares were scaring me. I weaved my way through the aisle to the back bench and sat down.

I watched out of the window as the bus took off down the road. Families were dropped off. Single mothers with children. And deranged, scraggly old men got off near dark alleyways. A shiver ran down my spine at the sight of them.

Thankfully the bus didn't linger in the sketchy parts of town much anyway. Once all of the basic drop offs had been taken care of, the bus driver glanced back at me. I was drowsy, nodding off against the cold bus window. A small smile spread across his face as he turned the lights inside the bus off and continued driving.

"Young miss, we're on our way to London," He spoke quietly over the bus' announcer system. "Would you like me to make stops or straight trip?"

"Straight trip, please," I mumbled tiredly. Then whispered a thank you as he nodded and turned back to the road. I put my hood up and nestled comfortably against the window and fell asleep.

-

It wasn't long before the bus had stopped. It looked about midday when I had woken up. The bus driver told me I looked so peaceful that he refused to wake me up. I thanked him for the trip, being so polite to me, and letting me rest even though he probably wanted to get home to his own bed.

I offered to tip him more than the trip's cost, but he waved it off and told me to keep it. I then left and was immediately regretting my decision. I turned to board the bus again but he had driven off before I could change my mind. I gulped, then turned to face the train station once again.

Maybe this wasn't a good idea...

"No," I told myself as I weaved through the crowds to enter the station. "You came all this way to help yourself. As soon as you get on a train, you'll be fine."

I tried my hardest to avoid people. Though the station was very busy. I got shoulder checked left and right. Some people apologized but others just scoffed as they continued on their way.

I bit back tears but I felt my pulse quicken. I knew I had to pull off to the side and calm down before I had a panic attack. Unfortunately, it got to me before I could prevent it in any way. My head started spinning and I was crying to myself, my hands shook as I tried to rub them on my temples to anchor myself.

My vision went blurry but I was able to make out a large grey brick pillar between platforms nine and ten. I tried to lean against it but I must have missed it because I fell right through it like it wasn't even there. I fell to the hard ground and just laid there. Trying to wait out the throbbing in my head in hopes it would fade out soon.

"Bloody hell!" A young male voice exclaimed and came to my side. "Hey, mum! I need some help!"

"Ronald, I swear, if this is another one of your tricks I will not hesitate to- oh, dear," A woman's voice dwindled to silence from a sad mumble. After a moment, she seemed to snap out of her daze. "Well, help her up, Ron! Don't just stand there!"