Chapter Thirteen

TW: Flashback/nightmare to abusive childhood
———

"Fred! Come help your father and brother with this tree!"

Fred and I had been upstairs cuddling for at least an hour and a half. He laughed softly and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"We should probably go downstairs now," He said. "You alright, love? You can stay up here and rest."

"No, I'm okay," He helped me to my feet. I pressed a hand to my stomach and bit my lip. "Still in denial."

"I'm not," He kissed me quickly and pulled away. "Mum's gonna have my head. I gotta go."

"You get down there. I'll be down in a moment."

He went down the stairs, then ran back up and took my hands. "Come on. Come with me. Come here. You need to see this."

"Okay," I laughed as he led me to the stairs. I gasped a bit when he covered my eyes. "Fred? We're on the stairs?"

"I know. Come here," He picked me up and carried me down the stairs. Then set me down and stood behind me. "Alright. Ready?"

"For what?"

He uncovered my eyes. I looked around and saw Christmas festivities everywhere. Hermione and Ron were in the kitchen helping Molly with food and treats.

Ginny and Harry were looking through a box of tree ornaments. George and Arthur were trying to set up the Christmas tree.

My eyes watered and I leaned back into Fred's arms. "Wow... is-is this what a real Christmas looks like?"

"Yeah," He kissed my cheek from behind.

"Ahh the baby bump!" Hermione got up from the kitchen table and came up to hug me. She placed a hand on my stomach. "How are you feeling? Alright I'd hope?"

"Yeah," I breathed out with a laugh and looked around. "I've... never had a real Christmas before..."

"Really?" Ron came up behind Hermione and hugged her. "I'm glad your first is with us then."

"Me too."

"Oh! Rain, dear! Come taste this for me will you?"

"Rain dear," Fred laughed. "You're the family reindeer."

"Shut it, Fred," Ron fired back with a laugh.

Fred went to help his brother and father with the tree while I was handed a spoon from Molly.

"It's the frosting for a cake," She told me. "Tell me if it's too sweet or needs a little more of something."

I took the spoon into my mouth and was overwhelmed with a beautiful, sweet, creamy orange flavor. My eyes widened. "Oh, my," I handed her the spoon back. "That is delicious. Is it orange?"

"Yes!" She grinned. "Oh, I'm so glad you found the flavor without me having to tell you. In this family I usually have to."

"Well I love it," I told her.

"Ronald! Stop eating all the dough!" Hermione scolded, though she couldn't seem to stop laughing. Ron poked her nose and got flour on her face.

"Hermione, you've got a bit of flour on your face. Did you know? Just there."

For some reason they both started laughing together about what he said.

I peeked around the corner and saw Fred and George sizing up the tree and moving it to the best spot in the living room.

I leaned against the wall watching him, a smile on my face. What a family man.

"Aw, mum! Why did we keep this one?!" Ginny called to her mother, holding up an ornament with a picture of her as a very little girl. Her face was bright red.