nine

━━━─── • ───━━━

The One With George Stephanopoulos

━━━─── • ───━━━

Central Perk went silent. Usually there was some sort of chatter going on, but no. Everyone had stopped what they were doing to stare at the girl who had just lashed out at the women she was sitting with. All the while Rachel's friends watched Samantha in horror.

"Excuse me?" Leslie was the first to speak, placing her hand on her chest for dramatic effect.

"I, sorry." Samantha sat back down in shame, avoiding their gazes. "So, uh pregnant, huh?" She tried to change the topic of conversation. Rachel hid behind her hand, trying her hardest not to bust out laughing. Although, it was hard to tell if it was because Samantha had just made a complete fool of herself, or because she had totally told her friends off.

After awhile Samantha was sitting in silence while the others conversed about god knows what. But she perked up when she heard Kiki mutter the phrase, "oh my god, who is that?" Samantha looked to the door to see Chris standing there looking for what she assumed was herself.

When his eyes landed on her he waved. The other girls looked a mix of mortified and impressed. "You know him?" One of them spoke.

"I-"

"Yes! That's Sammy's boyfriend," Rachel interrupted. "Chris! Over here!" She waved him over.

Samantha couldn't lie, she was glad he showed up when he did. She enjoyed watching the girls faces as he walked over and draped an arm around her shoulder.

"Hey," he greeted, leaning in to give her a quick kiss. "What's going on?"

"These are some... old friends," Samantha responded as nicely as she could. But it didn't stop Chris from noticing the obvious tension between everyone at the table. "Rachel and I were just about to leave though." She stood up, taking Chris by the arm and started to walk out the door. Not bothering to say goodbye.

"Yeah," Rachel went along with it. Longing for an escape. "We have that thing." She stood up and said quick goodbyes, as she followed Samantha out the door.

"Sammy! Wait up!" She ran after said girl and her boyfriend.

━━━─── • ───━━━

The trio decided to walk around the block a couple of times before Rachel left to join Monica and Phoebe back at the apartment. Once Chris was sure she had made it inside, he took the opportunity to bring up the scene at the cafe.

"So, you gonna tell me what was going on back there?" He continued walking forward and Samantha was forced to catch up.

"Those were some of Rachel's friends when she was engaged to Barry," Samantha started to explain. "They're not the kind of people I like to surround myself with."