22

A blow of wind had startled him, and he backed up a little before looking inside the ravine. They had been walking around it for a while now, investigating every possibility of exploring it and carefully noting which places were more dangerous than others. A6d exchanged a distraught look with Sapnap, who was walking toward him. They stood next to each other, facing the pit.

The ravine was incredibly deeply dug. It was so profound they could barely see the ground from where they were. In the faint light of beginning fall and in the thick fog of the biome, they had been unable to evaluate how deep the pit actually was. At least, from the surface, they could see many levels of depth, and many tunnels that were in the open and were leading to the undergrounds. On one of the lowest levels, they could clearly see a difference in the materials.

Between all the dirt, gravel, and stone, there was a part distinctively different that looked like a dungeon. The pretended dungeon walls, well combined with the stone from the ravine walls, were made of stone bricks and there were some broken stairs there and there. While at first, it looked like a building that could be built by the hands of humans, the more they would observe it, the more they would be certain the construction seemed way too unorganized to be designed by an architect. For example, some leftovers stairs were going in circles to a dead-end corridor, or they could see little rooms where the roof had fallen into scraps with three or four doors that were leading nowhere in particular.

It was a monsters dungeon for sure. After two days of investigation, there was no doubt about it.

“Last night, I dreamt I was home,” Sapnap said in a dreamy voice. “I was sleeping in my comfy, warm bed, tucked up in my blankets when my faithful dog entered the room and suddenly jumped on my tummy. He started to lick my face all over and over. I told him to stop, but he was so happy to see me again that I couldn’t push him away.”

A6d glanced at him. “And then?”

“Then I woke up.” Sapnap was staring at the ravine with an emotionless expression. “And here we are. Since two days, stuck here.”

“I still can’t believe we actually found something. I was ready to head back home.”

“I don’t get it. It’s not even related to Technoblade anymore, is it?” Sapnap shrugged, frowning. “What’s the point?”

“I mean, Inspector Bad is way too invested now. He wouldn’t want to let this discovery go,” A6d said in a mockery, and he looked around, hoping his glare would land on BadBoyHalo who was probably writing notes about the ravine somewhere near.

The two Knights heard the piercing shriek of the falcon and the swift rustle of its wings on their right. The bird had just departed, once again. The correspondence between the two groups was back. George had replied. He had replied two days ago, the day they had found the ravine. Since that moment, Bad had been spending his whole time whether exchanging info with him or taking notes about the ravine.

Skeppy, on his side, after being incredibly cocky and insufferable the first day bragging about the discovery, had started to investigate more seriously about it. He would use his magic water to get down on the different levels of the ravine to explore the surroundings, but not getting too far in the tunnels. He would come back and tell the other three what he had found inside – his discoveries were the same, some rails, no carts and some chests with scrap inside. There was definitely a human trace in this place, but it was unsure why they were here. It could have been miners, or eventually explorers, such as archeologists. That was the only logical possibility.

Sapnap and A6d could barely help the Mages in their tasks; their armors were too heavy to move around a lot, Skeppy was more suited to explore the caves with his magic water, and as they were Knights, they hadn’t been instructed to investigate places like Bad had learned as a strategist Mage. The Knights were more suited to fight, and Mages were more suited to explore. All they could do since the very first day was patrolling around, even though there was a very low possibility of anyone being here, and killing wild animals in order to bring food when it was time to eat. It was really no fun for them.