Misunderstandings

A few days later, Remus had been peacefully cleaning the kitchen and humming a few songs to himself when suddenly a pair of arms attacked him from behind.

"Boo!" Lily shouted at his ear while she tickled his sides, and he almost jumped out of his skin.

"Jesus, Lily! You need to stop scaring me like that!"

She let out a full laugh at his distraught face and hugged him quickly, "No way, it's too funny."

He huffed and shoved her jokingly, "Stop being mean and help me clean this, Miss Evans."

"Your wish is a command, Mister Lupin."

As they worked, Remus couldn't help but notice that Lily's radiant smile refused to leave her face even as they cleaned the dirtiest parts of the kitchen, and her eyes were shinning more brightly than usual.

"I guess someone is in a good mood," he sang next to her, not missing the blush that spread through her cheeks, "How is James, by the way, that guy you hate so much?"

"Oh, sod off, Lupin!"

"No way, it's too funny," he answered her with a playful smirk.

"Haha, Remus, you are hilarious," Lily rolled her eyes at him but it was obvious that she was trying her hardest not to laugh.

"I know I am, thank you very much. But seriously now, how are things going with James?"

Lily's face instantly gained a dreamy look and her eyes unfocused, as if she was lost in the depths of her mind.

"He is so great. It's incredible how much he'd changed since we first met, he is so much more mature now. We talked a lot after I kissed him last week, and we spent a lot of time together. I think...I think I really love him, Rem."

Remus smiled widely at his friend. She had been so terrified when they were under the attack, afraid that she would never be able to tell James how she really felt. Seeing her happy like this meant everything to him.

"I am so happy for you, Lily. You deserve all the happiness in the world."

The look Lily gave him after he said that, although it was filled with love and gratitude, also made it clear what she wanted to ask him.

Lily had been suspecting that Remus also loved someone since his feelings had started, even if she didn't know that it was to Sirius that his heart belonged to.

However, she didn't say anything about that, much to Remus' relief. She just reached her hand and grabbed his, giving it a firm squeeze.

"You do too, Remus. Don't forget that."

They both dropped the subject and continued chatting and making fun of each other for a few minutes, sometimes laughing so hard that the rest of the staff would even throw them annoyed looks as they worked.

However, they both went quiet as the door was suddenly burst opened and no one other than Minerva stepped into the kitchen, followed closely by a short, chubby man.

"Good morning, everyone," she greeted them politely and then gestured to the figure behind her, "This is Mister Pettigrew. He arrived at the palace today and will begin working here with you. I expect you all give him a warm welcome and help him through any difficulties."

Minerva stepped aside so he could go forward and then turned to him.

"Good luck, Mister Pettigrew," she went through the door again and left the kitchen without another word.

Remus watched as the man looked around the room, clearly lost, and immediately went over to him, offering a friendly hand.

"Hi, I am Remus. It's nice to meet you."