Traitors and Loyalists

"Agent Ward, could you explain why you killed Garrett when our orders were to capture?" Liam asked, who was shaking with fury and started questioning Ward asn soon as they cleared the building.

"Agent Ward has to give an explaination, Agent Liam but not to you."Coulson said.

"I don't think you understand what we are dealing with Agent Coulson. Agent Ward has just killed the Clairvoyant, who had the intel we need to destroy the Centipede."

"Garrett was their leader. Now that he and Po are dead and Raina has been captured, they won't survive long."

"And what if Garrett had made sure there would be a successor? Your agent has just destroyed our chance of getting something from him. And who knows," she asked and turned to look at Ward, who had said nothing in his defence so far "he might be a part of the Centipede too and killed Garrett to protect their new leader? Or maybe he is their new leader?" she shouted at them.

The agents who heard what she had said gasped, not because of the accusation but rather due to the fact that she had made it with no evidence.

Coulson, on the other hand was fuming. "You have no proof and have no right to accuse my agent of such thing. Agent Ward has given me no reason to distrust him on the contrary he has earned my trust. Mind what you're talking about Agent Liam!" Coulson too started to shout.

Liam raised an eyebrow and chose not to adress to the absolute disrespect a level 8 agent showed to a level 9 operative. "Nevertheless," she said, her tone normal "we will be following the protocol. Agent Tripplet." She said and turned to look at Trip who had come to Ward's defence when he heard the accusation. "You know what to do."

Trip's eyes widened. "No." He said,. "Excuse me!" she said, her voice as sharp as diamond. "Agent Coulson is right. Agent Ward has done nothing that should make us distrust him. Garrett was a traitor and responsible for the deaths of many agents and after what he had done to Mike Peterson, my partner and Agent Skye, he deserved what he got." He said.

"Agent Triplett, you don't want anymore agents to die because of misplaced trust, right?" she said and didn't wait for him to answer. "I don't either. Until we are sure of his loyalties, we will follow the protocol. Now do what you are supposed to do." She said, finalizing the argument.

Trip opened his mouth to respond but before he could, Ward interfered. "Trip," he said, gaining his attention. He shrugged, indicating he knew it wasn't personal and that he was okay with what was about to happen. Trip looked at him incredulously. "Well," Liam said, gaining their attention once again.

Trip sighed and reluctantly took a step towards Ward, who held out his hands in front of him. Trip put him in handcuffs and started to lead him to one of the SUVs.

"You did the right thing." Trip said to Ward, not bothering to lower his voice. When Ward didn't answer or give him any impression that would make think he acknowledged his words, he continued.

"Garrett was trained by SHIELD, to withstand torture. He wouldn't have broken and we would have wasted our time. And even if you hadn't done it, I would have." He said and patted his shoulder. An agent opened the door of the SUV and Ward sat on the backseat.

Coulson watched the event, not believing what had just occured.

"There was no reason for that." Coulson said, still fuming with rage.

"Protocol." Liam said, making Coulson even more angry. He understood why Skye hated it. "However, Agent Ward is still a part of your team so you will be taking him to the Triskellion." She said and turned to board her quinjet.

"Agent Triplett is coming with us, too." Coulson said. Liam stopped and looked at him, much to his surprise, she didn't object only noded.

When they got to the bus, May uncuffed and put him in the cage. Before doing so, she noded, indicating she approved what he had done and that she was with him.