Chapter 14

The blazing sun gave Sunset a pleasing feeling of confort and peace. He missed the desert. Yet, as he sees nothing but sand and sand everywhere, kinda missing the wacky and sad adventure he had gone through. Memories of his parents flashed by his eyes. Memories of loneliness and glee and trauma. He winces as the flash of seeing his parents be killed in front of him passes through his vision. He thinks of poor Anubis, did Sunset really just leave him out to die? How could he be so selfish?

Sunset comes crashing down to the sand in guilt and grief. It finally hit him: everyone he loved was dead. He was alone... He always feared to be alone. Sunset buries himself in the sand, two deaths were his fault. Ibis's and Anubis's.

The SkyWing-Sand hybrid walks to the oasis of his home, looking exactly as how he left it. It was all full of sand. Exhausted, Sunset takes a few sips of water, sorrow overwhelming him, he might as well cry the water out he just drank You're fine, He tells himself, going inside the hut.

"Talons and tails..." Sunset feels nauseous once more as he sees his parents' belongings. He looks down to his claws, remembering Anubis's final enchantment.

I hope he was faking it, Sunset sighs and breathes in, "I enchant the sand below to swallow up my parents' belongings out of sight," he whispers. He watches as his parents' mats and books begin sinking into the sand as if it was quicksand. Sunset was started, flinching away. Did I just loose part of my soul? He hated the magic already. I can get rid of it, can't I?

But it's my last connection to Anubis....

"I just won't use it!" Sunset declares, "But what if I accidentally use it... What if I loose my soul for accident spells?" He looks down to his scales, magic now flooded through them.

I'll worry about it tomorrow. I only want sleep, Sunset thought as sorrow made him sleepy. He paddles to his mat, the only one remaining.... He lays down only to feel something hard poke his scales. "Ouch," he mutters, lifting the mat as he finds a small earring.

The Scorpion Den.

A small spark of hope filled Sunset's chest. "I suppose I won't bare to live here," Sunset realizes. His home was now gloomy with torturing memories. Sunset almost felt apathy for his own good, but he couldn't just give up. His parents and Anubis... Wherever they were.... Are watching him. Sunset was sure.

----

Sunset was now outside, wishing the war didn't exist so that he could have had more time with his parents. He wished silly ideas as banning intertribal relationships didn't exist. Perhaps the war strengthened that. The war kept his parents away. The war caused so much damage. Sunset wonders if Ares's family was torn apart too because of war. Is that why Topaz didn't let Ares see his father? How was Ares doing right now?

Sunset looks back to his hut. He thinks of his foolish acts and innocent days. He couldn't believe have naive he was. He pins the earring into his left ear. He wraps white silky cloth around his right arm. Sunset unfortunately did not have any of the jewelry Anubis had given him, taken away from the SkyWings. That was upsetting...

"Goodbye," He whispers, the only goodbye he was willing to do. No more goodbyes. Ever. Sunset flys off west secretly towards the sunset. The last secret flight he was to do.