[ 20 ] Is it love?

It sucks having friends from different schools. Cause when they have a match against each other, you wouldn't know who to cheer for.

You sat anxiously on the bleachers, watching the points race to surpass the other. They were now nearing the end of the 2nd set, with Inarizaki winning the first set.

You finished taking some photos for the monthly school paper, and it was safe for you to say you did well. You even got a perfect shot of Akaashi tossing the ball and Bokuto in his high jump position before spiking the ball. It was definitely cool, you knew Bokuto would love to be the cover of next month's school paper.

Your self-congratulatory thoughts were cut short when the whistle blew, indicating the end of the game with Inarizaki winning.

-

"Please stop," you giggled at Atsumu's familiar way of embarrassing himself.

Atsumu looks back at you with a confused face. "Stop what?" He asked blindly, with two chopsticks stuck in his nostrils. You burst into a fit of giggles, finding Atsumu adorably stupid.

You sat beside Osamu and in front of Atsumu and Rintarou in the nearby ramen place, just a corner from Inarizaki High School. This place held lots of memories with the three idiots and you - this was your go-to ramen place after the boys' practice almost everyday, and you could never get sick of their ramen. You'd bid your goodbyes to your team before you and the three idiots headed here, reassuring Akaashi that you and the three boys would just catch up and that you'd be back in your apartment, cuddling with him in no time.

Rintarou smacks the back of Atsumu's head, just like all the times Atsumu was being a dick or being embarrassing. The blonde-haired pouted, taking the chopsticks off his nose and wrapping it with tissue paper.

"You seem happier, Y/n." Osamu's voice comes out as a whisper for only the two of you to make a conversation, his eyes still focused on his bowl of ramen.

You turn to him with a smile, clutching onto your chopsticks. "I... really am. I haven't felt like this in a while." You heavily sighed, the memories of both your childhood and your middle school years replaying in your mind.

"I can only assume it's because of Fukurodani's setter?" Osamu's gaze now trailed to yours, locking eyes with your e/c orbs. His face relaxed and a small smile appeared in the corner of his mouth.

Your breath hitched at the sudden revelation Osamu had. He was quite the observer among the four of you - other than Rintarou, of course. One of the many things you appreciated about Osamu. He would always lend a shoulder for you to cry on, or a hand when you needed help. You saw Osamu as your big brother.

You sheepishly nod, taking a sip from the warm broth of the ramen. "I don't want to rely my happiness on him, Osamu. But it seems as if he is the only reason why I truly feel the way I do."

Osamu nodded understandingly, still evading the fact that Rintarou and Atsumu were arguing in front of them. "I noticed the way he looked at you when we first arrived." His gaze was back to his ramen. Mirroring your actions, he took a sip of the warm broth as well.

"What way?"

"He looks at you the way you look at art." He chuckled under his breath. "Or the way you'd be proud of yourself when you'd successfully write down what you'd been feeling." He turns his eyes to you once more, his gaze softening compared to a while ago. "In other words, he looks at you with love."

Your breath hitched, suddenly coughing from the warm broth you'd just drunk. Rintarou takes notice of this and quickly handed you his water bottle. You received it and drank from it, relieving your heavy panting. Osamu merely chuckles at your panicked reaction.

Love.

It wasn't the word you'd use to describe what you thought Akaashi felt for you. You had just gotten together two weeks ago, was it too soon to say those words? It was understandable in your part - you'd been head-over-heels for Akaashi Keiji since freshman year of high school, you knew that yourself. What you didn't know was what Akaashi felt. You knew you were someone important to him, his actions proved it. And yet, you can't help but feel slightly worried.

What if Akaashi Keiji wasn't in love with you?

What if what he was feeling was a mere need of some sort? A mere feeling of obligation to keep you safe or happy because of the sole reason that you showed him affection, one he'd been craving for for years? And the only way he could thank you was to spoil you with his presence - one you were craving for?

In other words, you both could give what the other wanted.

You started overthinking your relationship - your trust issues getting the best of you. You tried your hardest to revert your focus back on the three boys who were bickering amongst one another, completely pushing your negative thoughts away.

-

Akaashi stepped out of the bus when they had arrived back to the school campus. His teammates, as well as himself, were extremely drained from the practice match they had. He spotted Bokuto stepping out of the bus, stretching in the process.

His mind wanders off to Y/n. How was she holding up without him? Was she having any fun? He felt weird not having her by his side - he was so used to seeing her 24/7. He wanted to text her, call her, facetime her, but he didn't want to seem too clingy.

He sighed. She's changed him so much in a matter of 21 days. A year ago, he was Akaashi Keiji, known as someone who always turned down girls who chased him whenever they confessed their romantic feelings towards him because according to him, he wanted to focus on his studies and volleyball. Who would have known a year later, he was the one chasing after a girl who seemed to be uninterested? And now, he was in a relationship with that girl. It seemed crazy how incredibly great your change is when you fall in love.

Love.

Did he just admit to himself that he was falling in love with L/n Y/n? He never had thought about it until today. Their sudden distance sent a pang to his chest. Was that how other people realize they love someone? When they are separated or when the chances of them getting together was slim? He wondered if it was the same with everyone. An unfamiliar feeling rushed through his body.

Bokuto notices the intense change of emotion Akaashi wore on his face. He walked over to his best friend, tilting his head. "Are you okay, Akaashi?"

Akaashi seemed to be startled by Bokuto's presence suddenly appearing. He wore a worried look and shook his head. Before Bokuto could ask Akaashi what was wrong, Akaashi spoke up. "I'm in love with Y/n."

Bokuto grinned. "Then why do you look worried? You should be jumping for joy!"

"I'm not worried about my feelings, Bokuto-san." Akaashi's gaze fell to the floor. "I'm worried she doesn't feel the same way."